Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Shoot_It_All

870 express super mag

is there any negatives to a supermag over a regular 870

Yeah, it costs more for a feature you'll probably never use.

The stroke length is slightly more on the Super Mag.

3.5" shotgun shells are a solution in search of a problem that's fixed better by exchangeable chokes and better ammo

3.5" 12ga shells came about to get more steel shot down range and on target for birds.

With the new non toxic shot types that have better ballistics, the 3.5" shells are inferior to newer 3" shells using better technology.

3.5" shells also have some pretty hefty recoil so it's not very much fun to shoot either.

All thongs I thought about. I just need to turn off the.voice in my head that says go big or go home

turn the voice off, kill the power and shut it down. 3.5 inch shells are unneeded homie.

as someone who has shot the heavy steel 3 1/2 inch loads hunting waterfowl, I can really say they are no joke. You will be able to shoot them, but will not enjoy it.

From what I can tell the advantage is in shell flexibility is there any negatives to a supermag over a regular 870

On a sidenote got hands on that 887 nitromag interesting pump

First, some background:

The 3.5" 12 ga.probably would never have evolved had it not been for the lead shot ban for waterfowling in the U.S. in 1991. Now mandated to use steel shot for all waterfowl, hunters had to adjust to the limitations of steel vs. lead. Many waterfowlers were handily using 2 3/4" & 3" lead shotshells in 20, 16 & 12 gauges at that time and it was more than adequate given the right situations. The 870 has been around since 1950, and the 870 Magnum has been offered with 3" chambers in 12 ga. since 1955.

Many waterfowlers (goose hunters in particular) were using the 10 ga. for years with lead because of its bigger payload and the switch to steel with the big 3.5" shell was a struggle with early loads but still better than some early 12 ga. offerings. Load development and the evolution with steel and other non-toxics has progressed in the last twenty years.

The 3.5" 12 ga. shell evolved with the demand to accommodate bigger steel payloads. But with steel shot, unless the 12 ga. bore is slightly overbored to account for the big payload, the 10 ga. with it's larger bore will usually pattern better, offer less pressure, less recoil, and usually with the shotgun being heavier, is the more comfortable shotgun to shoot. It's no surprise 12 ga. gas-auto's as waterfowl guns are a hot ticket today.

As with most things in life, size or "going big" does not always make up for inability or lack of skill.

A 3.5" load of 00 buckshot (18 pellets, twice the load of a standard 00-buck 9 pellet load) in an 8 lb. shotgun will deliver about 50 ft./lbs. recoil energy to your shoulder. That's approaching 458 Win. Mag. territory. Ouch!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Shotgun Recoil Calculator

Do you need a 3.5" SuperMag? Unless you waterfowl hunt A LOT, I would say no. 3" chambers are more than adequate. As for the 887, my nod would be for the proven 870 over the 887. But I can't formulate an honest opinion on the 887 as I've never shot one.[