Old Glock guy

Accuracy of S&W 15-22 vs. Ruger 10/22

I find that I can shoot decent groups into a 12" target at both 50 and 100 yards with my 10/22 equipped with Tech Sights. I'm definitely not winning any marksmanship contests, but I'm getting good enough to keep the zombies at bay. While my 15-22 is great fun to shoot, I find it to be far less accurate. I was thinking that since I've had the latter for a shorter time, perhaps I had not yet fully sighted it in, or I just was not familiar enough with it. Then I heard a comment on a show on the Outdoor Channel that the 15-22 was in "the middle of the pack" for accuracy. Anyone care to comment on this?

Far Less Accurate is surprising to me. I can't comment on the 10/22, I am rather Anti-Ruger and especially anti-10/22. But I am very happy with my 15/22. Now I had a simple red dot / "holosite" on it, mine was an NcStar but there are like 100 variants of the same damn sight ... and it was dead on at 25 yards with the Circle-around-a-dot reticle (after extensive playi around and a lot of hard work zeroing.) and I also played around with the MBUS on it. I have not set mine up with a magnified optic/"Telescope" but I know many have and with some good-to-real-good ammo, I've seen internet forum posters with Amazing targets they've shot with target-rigged 15-22's. Again, mine is completely Tactical-rigged and really its more of a CQB AR for me, I have scoped .22's for the target or varmint/predator plinking. My 15-22 is for fun and pretending I'm Bob Brown.

Maybe you have to shoot it more to get it "broken in" and have the parts smooth out. I love my 15-22 and think it is very accurate. Yes, my K10-22T is a real tack driver and more accurate than the M&P, but not by that much.

I've not done any long range work with a 15-22 but i've had several rugers in various configurations from stock to benchrest wild and they all will provide a high level of accuracy depending on the configuration. My bull barreled benchrest gun was boring accurate and consistent. My current rifle is more of a simple lightweight plinker/steel challenge build and will bang a 8x8" steel plate at 100 yds all day long with just a 3 MOA red dot.

My 15-22 must have heard me complaining about its accuracy, because it totally outshot my 10/22 a few days ago. I'll generally put a couple of 12" targets at either 50 or 100 yards, then take 30-40 shots with each and compare the results. As I noted in my earlier post, most of the time the 10/22 is better, but last week the 15-22 kicked its butt, so go figure.

Last weekend at the range, my wife was able to hit a 22 once soda bottle at 100 yds. with the 15/22 with the iron sites. Now I want to get her out with the 10/22 with a scope and see her shoot. She has younger eyes, I could barely see the bottle.