Babaganoosh

My new/very old 1911

So I just took possesion of my Grandfathers service pistol. A colt M1911A1. Besides what I learned from the web, is there anything interesting anyone can tell me about these guns? It says UNITED STATES PROPERTY M1911A1 U.S. ARMY on the one side. Not that I would ever sell it, but anyone know the value?

One side looks good, the other has some old rust damage. My dad said his cousin and him messed it up somehow as kids. The finish that is. I wonder if it can be polished out or anything. This is a cell phone pic of the side that's a little rough. When I find my memory card I'll take pictures with my regular camera.

IMG_20110403_172042.jpg

Gah both my grandfathers were engineers in the navy and were never issued pistols. You lucky duck. I don't have anything productive to add other than congratulations.

Mr Grandfather was the Captain of a ship in the Merchant Marine. He also went to a maritime college I believe. I think it's in NY. He also did something else in the military. I'm going to have to ask my dad.

Guest schutzen-jager

1911a1 models first made 1923 - 1945 - manufactures name + serial number will get you the exact year -

If it's a 1944, the slide won't have a serial number under the firing pin retainer, so just take a look next time it's out.(this may only be true of Colts)

Don't touch the finish. Look for letters and stamping on the barrel, it will tell you a little bit more. The armory stamp should be on the left side of the gun behind the trigger.

Unless it's unfired, I'd lube up and put a few rounds downrange in grandad's memory :)

If it's a 1944, the slide won't have a serial number under the firing pin retainer, so just take a look next time it's out.(this may only be true of Colts) Nothing there. Just a seriel number on the frame. The seriel number is 117367*.

Don't touch the finish. Look for letters and stamping on the barrel, it will tell you a little bit more. The armory stamp should be on the left side of the gun behind the trigger. Theres a stamp behind the trigger. GHD, Also there is a P by the magazine release.

Unless it's unfired, I'd lube up and put a few rounds downrange in grandad's memory :)

It's fired. In the next few days I am going to field strip it again and give it a nice cleaning and lube it up.

Yours was early 1944. My A1 was 1944 stamped but actually produced in 1945 http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/guns/1911/ (click image for giant pic) You'll note some similarities.

Looks like a nice piece. Enjoy. I sold mine which hadn't had much through it for $1800. I kept the sentimental 1911 from my dad, this A1 one was just "the good one" which never saw the light of day.

Yours was early 1944. My A1 was 1944 stamped but actually produced in 1945 http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/guns/1911/ (click image for giant pic) You'll note some similarities.

Looks like a nice piece. Enjoy. I sold mine which hadn't had much through it for $1800. I kept the sentimental 1911 from my dad, this A1 one was just "the good one" which never saw the light of day.

Very cool. Thanks for the link to the pics and info