Sign in to follow this  
Krdshrk

Iowa Congressman & family safe after home invasion

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/17/iowa-congressman-family-safe-after-home-invasion/

A home invasion at Rep. Leonard Boswell's Iowa farm ended when his 22-year-old grandson fetched a shotgun and aimed it at the intruder, according to a statement from the congressman's office. No one was seriously injured.

The incident started about 10:45 p.m. Saturday when an armed man came in through the front door, attacked Boswell's daughter, Cindy Brown, and demanded money, the statement said. Boswell, 77, heard his daughter's screams, came into the entryway and attempted to disarm the intruder.

As they struggled, Boswell's grandson, Mitchell Brown, got a shotgun from another room. When he pointed the shotgun at the intruder, the man fled into the fields around the house outside Lamoni.

Here's a case where having a gun handy has potentially saved 4 people's lives. The anti's don't look at it this way of course. They all should have used equal and proportional force using Q-tips and paper towel roll tubes to repel the intruder, while giving him a gift basket on his way out the door.

The best part of what the congressman said from MSNBC.

"The congressman says the military is the best training for situations like this," said Woodard, referring to Boswell's 20-year military career. "It's a wakeup call to everybody to take precautions and do what they need to do to keep their family safe."

You can tell he isn't a NJ congressman.

Once again my point is made for me! Sometimes the mere presence of a shotty makes the Perp run the other way!

And who was it on this Forum that doubted me and what I said in my actual home defense shotty experience???????????? :thsmiley_deadhorse: :thankyou:

Way to go Grandson! Grandpa ought to take that kid out to a good dinner at a fancy restaurant! :locomotive:

Dave

Boswell, 77, heard his daughter's screams, came into the entryway and attempted to disarm the intruder.

As they struggled, Boswell's grandson, Mitchell Brown, got a shotgun from another room. When he pointed the shotgun at the intruder, the man fled into the fields around the house outside Lamoni.

That's one tough old dude. 77 years old struggling with a armed invader. Way to go.

NO! Rifles have a tendency to over-penetrate, whereas shottys' loads can be "tuned" to the dwelling easier, IMHO. #6 or #4 will put a hurtin' on the Perp without going thru walls into a safe room.

NO! Rifles have a tendency to over-penetrate, whereas shottys' loads can be "tuned" to the dwelling easier, IMHO. #6 or #4 will put a hurtin' on the Perp without going thru walls into a safe room.

What I meant was if two people were struggling, a rifle might be better for making a clear shot at the Perp without hurting the other person.

What I meant was if two people were struggling, a rifle might be better for making a clear shot at the Perp without hurting the other person.

Something non-lethal like a baseball bat or pepper spray would be better. This way your loved one gets lumped-up or sprayed by accident instead of shot--not perfect--but then you're not going to a funeral either.

Self defense is an escalating situation. It's perfectly O-K NOT to shoot someone (and make a huge mess that needs cleaned-up). Something as simple as a face full of dry chemical fire extinguishant can overcome an intruder. ANY really prepared homeowner has more than the ultimate level of response.........

Think it through and make a plan. Just like a fire drill. If the worst happens, execute the plan. Be creative if need be. Improvise & adapt.

Take a PPIH NRA Course.

Dave

Once again my point is made for me! Sometimes the mere presence of a shotty makes the Perp run the other way!

And who was it on this Forum that doubted me and what I said in my actual home defense shotty experience???????????? :thsmiley_deadhorse: :thankyou:

Dave

Actually, what we said was making a noise by racking a round in the hopes of it scaring some one away is a crap shoot at best and tactically unsound (no pun intended).

But feel free to take bows through a peripheral discussion about different circumstances. :hunter:

Actually, what we said was making a noise by racking a round in the hopes of it scaring some one away is a crap shoot at best and tactically unsound (no pun intended).

But feel free to take bows through a peripheral discussion about different circumstances. :hunter:

I've LIVED IT, so I know it WORKS! The Grandson showed-up with a shotty and the Perp turned-tail and RAN. Nobody injured!

I guess that next time I'm supposed to just wait in silence until the guy finishes breaking-in, so THEN I check to see IF he's armed & with what, THEN I "tactically" pull the trigger on the 12 ga. after giving him a chance to harm or kill me or the family. Somehow, I LIKE my idea better (the Perp NEVER gains entrance).

Although the discussion may indeed be "peripheral", it still makes the point. When a shotty shows up it makes 'em think twice about what it is they're doing....

I've LIVED IT, so I know it WORKS! The Grandson showed-up with a shotty and the Perp turned-tail and RAN. Nobody injured!

Although the discussion may indeed be "peripheral", it still makes the point. When a shotty shows up it makes 'em think twice about what it is they're doing....

Would a handgun or an AK done the same thing? No one knows.

I guess that next time I'm supposed to just wait in silence until the guy finishes breaking-in, so THEN I check to see IF he's armed & with what, THEN I "tactically" pull the trigger on the 12 ga. after giving him a chance to harm or kill me or the family. Somehow, I LIKE my idea better (the Perp NEVER gains entrance).

Is that what you think I mean?

You keep saying "the guy." The main reason racking a shotgun to scare someone off is tactically unsound is that you have to always assume there is more than one.

Would a handgun or an AK done the same thing? No one knows.

Is that what you think I mean?

You keep saying "the guy." The main reason racking a shotgun to scare someone off is tactically unsound is that you have to always assume there is more than one.

NO, actually I don't! As long as he or they are outside. After being warned (racking & announcing that the cops have been called and you have a shotgun) if they choose to continue and gain entrance, he or they are dealt with in some sort of expedient nature, with the first response to be non-lethal unless they have a firearm or knife. We still live in NJ. I can't just wait in silence for an unarmed Perp to gain entrance and cut him in half with a 12 ga. I don't want to be prosecuted for shooting an unarmed bad guy. I would rather help him change his mind about gaining entrance in the first place.

The American Riflemen magazine has lots of examples of where the mere presence of a firearm deterred any further aggression. It also has examples of what homeowners did to protect themselves by using deadly force as a last resort.

I can't just wait in silence for an unarmed Perp to gain entrance and cut him in half with a 12 ga. I don't want to be prosecuted for shooting an unarmed bad guy. I would rather help him change his mind about gaining entrance in the first place.

The American Riflemen magazine has lots of examples of where the mere presence of a firearm deterred any further aggression. It also has examples of what homeowners did to protect themselves by using deadly force as a last resort.

We agree on a lot but, no one is saying shoot first ask questions later. No one is saying that the presence of a firearm didn't make the difference.

I AM talking about not making assumptions about how a person would react to the sound of a shotgun or that you know exaclty how many people you are dealing with.

I really don't believe I am going to convince you of the concept, but I have always had an issue with blanket statements like "do this and they'll run, everyone says so," or in your case "because it happened to me."

For example, I know too many people that learned how to react and maneuver based on what they hear. Not all of them took what they were taught and found gainful employment and the sound of a shotgun being racked is not scary.

And the first mention of this, by you, was in response to a home invasion, not breaking and entering. Its an apples to oranges comparison.

We basically agree that stupid or drugged-up bad guys aren't going to care if a 12 ga. is racked.

If the above happens, well, it could be messy for the bad guy(s).

I never said that racking would scare away everybody. I said something about why not trying it first to see what happens while he/they are still outside.

Didn't mean to make it complicated.

Is a rifle would be better than a shotgun in this situation if he really needed to pull the trigger?

If it's consistently not going to penetrate someone completely then it's not going to stop them reliably.

You are not using the firearm because the attacker is in your house making tea. And you want the opportunity to shoot him, after you get your family to the other side of the house and trick the guy into standing against a good backstop.

You are using the firearm because you have decided that if you don't stop the attacker that very bad things will happen. Stopping the attacker is therefore the priority. You are more likely to miss with one of your shots than have a shot go through an attacker and kill an innocent person.

Know your target and what is beyond it. Go around the house and check out what would happen if you shot from various locations. You have windows? Might you hit somebody through those windows unintentionally? You have brick facade or plywood external walls covered with tyvek and siding? Where are your kids likely to be? Where might they be?

Now that you have figured out your target and what is behind it, do you think missing the target is better than hitting the target with ammo that penetrates?