JTQ911

ADVICE For Buying Online

I've finally found the gun I've been looking for quite some time on another forum.

What does everyone recommend TO DO, or NOT TO DO, when it comes from purchasing a gun from someone unknown on another forum.

How do you protect yourself as a buyer?

Best regards,

Jim

Don't use your bank card/check card online. Just has my information stolen. Use a credit card so you can dispute the charges if your firearm isn't delivered. If you use a bank card the money comes out of your account and you have to fight to get it back. Other than that I'll let the rest of the members chime in. :nomention:

Just a couple of things. Certainly not a complete list.

Pictures, pictures, pictures make sure it is what you think it is.

Reputation of seller. Has seller been on forum for any length of time and is it obvious from other posters that he is known and OK. Search seller's other posts and read what you can from them.

Ask for references.

The seller needs no references from you in most cases. Seller will wait until your money is in his hand before shipping. I've often thought why can't they ship it and I'll pay after I receive it???????? Always the seller is in control.

Is the seller overly shy or protective of their actual location or name.

Speak on the phone if possible.

If not too far, go meet face to face even if it's a handgun and you still have to have it transferred. I have traveled as much as 400 miles to look at a gun. Especially if it's a one of a kind or very hard to find.

If it sounds too good to be true................well it probably isn't true.

YMMV Good luck.

• Like 2

In this case its a handgun someone has from Oregon. I suggested using the escrow service gunbroker recommends: tradiator.com

I will look into his length on forums and his posts.

What type of payment gives the most security in this situation, certified check, money order?

Jim

I use usps money orders personally. I personally wouldn't use an escrow service as a seller. I'm a cash and carry kinda person.

I have bought very expensive items on the net and from forums with just a phone call, pics and feedback about the seller.

Jim's points are right on.

1) Go and see the item (gun or whatever you are buying) whenever possible.

2) Read the sellers feedback, if they respond to a negative post with an attitude, I move on, if they have too many negatives, I move on. Everyone is entitled to one or two negatives depending on various situations.

3) Insist on an inspection period no matter what.

I too use postal money orders and have not been screwed (yet).

In this case its a handgun someone has from Oregon. I suggested using the escrow service gunbroker recommends: tradiator.com

I will look into his length on forums and his posts.

What type of payment gives the most security in this situation, certified check, money order?

Jim

I have found a USPS money order is usually treated as cash by most sellers. Banks will clear funds overnight when deposited so no delay in shipping your goods. Always send the payment with delivery verification and tracking. I will not send payment to a PO box. Insist on tracking numbers from the seller also.

I have no experience with escrow services.