Sign in to follow this  
eshepp007

Where Dave DeWeese Stands on 2A Issues

So a few weeks back in a thread about Jeff Van Drew I promised to find out where his Republican opponent, Dave DeWeese, stands on 2A issues. So I'm back with info, as promised.

Word is he is a strong 2A guy, and his actions so far back that up. He is a friend to the Jersey sportsman. Below find the copied text of his response to a recent Jersey court ruling which refused to allowed retired prosecutors to carry.

Republican legislative candidates in District One, David DeWeese for Senate; and Sam Fiocchi and Suzanne Walters for Assembly, in response to the Courts' refusal to allow retired prosecutors to carry firearms, recently issued the following statement:

New Jersey's gun laws are already overly restrictive, and they run contrary to an individual’s right to keep and bear arms as protected by the Second Amendment to the Constitution. The Court’s ruling on May 16, 2011 to disallow permits for retired state and county prosecutors to carry firearms further undermines that right. These public servants have been appropriately trained to carry firearms and they have put themselves in harm's way by standing as a shield between the public and violent criminals. They should certainly be classified as “law enforcement officers”, and they should have the right to exercise their constitutional right to bear arms in order to protect themselves after they retire.

We support expanding the law to specifically include these retired law enforcement officers' and protecting their right to carry firearms for self-defense. We are dealing with trained, good prosecutors who understand and enforce the laws for all of us. This legislation should be the first step in reforming our gun laws to more broadly protect an individual’s rights under the Second Amendment of the Constitution.

Van Drew agrees with the ruling, while DeWeese sees reversing it as a "first step" to actually recognizing the 2nd Amendment in New Jersey.

New Jersey's gun laws are already overly restrictive, and they run contrary to an individual’s right to keep and bear arms as protected by the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

If he actually means this.... :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for the update.

While it looks like they're both just trolling for votes to me (and I can't vote in that election), I'm happy to see an election race where in the event that guns come into play, Bryan Miller's head will explode.

:icon_twisted: =@

"These public servants have been appropriately trained to carry firearms"

He's for protecting prosecutors, but what about the average Joe?

"This legislation should be the first step in reforming our gun laws to more broadly protect an individual’s rights under the Second Amendment of the Constitution."

There you go, first step, not last step.