Sign in to follow this  
vmastro87

Upper questions??

ok so i dropped the composite lower idea (lol had changed my mind before the pic that was posted but that really hammered it home for me ), so i bought two palmetto stripped lowers and there LPK and now i have upper questions. Question one: is hard to assemble your own upper and what do you need? my second is what is the deal with barrels what can/cant be on the end i am really confused. If you buy a barrel that is one piece with the fancy end (muzzle break i think ) is that legal bc it is non removable? Sorry just a newbie really confused.

Thanks again guys

Upper assembly requires some basic tools and is easy. If you plan on attaching your own barrel you need some special tools: vise, ar barrel wrench and block (if you live near Cape May County I have all the tools and experience and can help).

Barrel end: you can have a muzzle break, you can not have a flash hider. Look at the wording in the description. As far as I know there are no hard and fast rules as to what differentiates the two hopefully someone can correct me.

If you are getting a barrel with a muzzle break perminantly attached it should come with a gas block or front sight post also attached. make sure the front sight post/gas block does not have a bayonet lug.

You can get a potted barrel also, no attachment just holes drilled in the barrel.

im up in ocean county but thank you much, yea thats kind of where i am confused. i will definitely make sure it doesn't have the lug or ill remove it but otherwise what parts what i need to add to a stripped upper just the bolt carrier and a barrel ?

thanks again

Lower assembly is really easy and the upper is not much more difficult. The upper does require a few specialized tools. I really hate to point you to another forum but, I think this is the perfect place for you to read and see in pictures everything that goes into building an AR.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html

You don't know what you want yet. I'm not sure you would have been happy with it in the long run. It has no muzzle device and some day you are going to look at all the pics on the forum and then look at this one and decide you made a mistake. It can be changed, it was a good deal, but as somebody starting out you really need to figure out what you want.