Sign in to follow this  
glockman26

firearm purchase without papers

A co-worker of mine wants to sell me one of his shotguns. Is it a problem that he does not have any paper on it as it was given to him by a family friend. I would assume that we go to an FFL and do the transfer legal and all. Is there going to be an issue with him really not having any proof of ownership ? I'm pretty sure that it would be illegal for me to just buy it from him direct which is what he wants to do. It's definitely not stolen as this guy is an upstanding citizen. I have never purchased a firearm from another individual.

If you are both residents of NJ, you are good to go. You may purchase it without any documentation. You will both need to complete a Certificate of Eligibility. The seller and buyer both keep a copy. No other copy is needed. The seller also does not need a FPID card. Just leave that space blank.

If the seller is a resident of another state, the transfer must go through a dealer in either state.

As everyone has said, no documentation is needed (from the seller) in NJ for a sale or purchase of a shotgun or rifle when both parties are legal residents of NJ. All you need to do is each fill out the COE form linked above and store it in a safe place.

Depends on what your idea of an upstanding citizen is... if he doesn't have any paperwork then he has taken illegal possession of the shotguns. Just like you need the correct paperwork to take possession of them, however there is nothing wrong with him selling them to you. Just fill out the necessary COE(certificate of eligibility) form(both of you) and your good to go.

• Like 1

Depends on what your idea of an upstanding citizen is... if he doesn't have any paperwork then he has taken illegal possession of the shotguns. Just like you need the correct paperwork to take possession of them, however there is nothing wrong with him selling them to you. Just fill out the necessary COE(certificate of eligibility) form(both of you) and your good to go.

Not necessarily. It could have been gifted when he lived in another state. There's a lot of ways it could have been done legally.

You must be real fun at parties.

400px-nerdy_guy.jpg

If, and that's a big if, because we don't have more details, this person was given a shotgun in this state with out and FID then it would be my understanding that it would be illegal for glockmans friend to be in possession of that shotgun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

You must be real fun at parties.

pbjsg_1317272929.gif