Sign in to follow this  
302w

Evil feature question/SKS banter/Mt Freedom Gun Club?

Killing a few birds with one stone here, so bear with me please.

1. I am a little confused on the "Evil feature" capacity on "Assault Weapons". I always understood there was a three evil feature limit. Is it two features and the third makes you a criminal, or no more than three?

2. Reason I ask is because I might be buying an SKS in the next few months, and I would like to make a wooden pistol grip stock for it. I would keep it stock which would leave me with a 10 round fixed magazine (legal), a bayonet (one evil), semi auto function (evil #2), and a pistol grip (evil #3). Would that be kosher in the Peoples Republic?

3. Finally, is anyone here a member of the Mount Freedom Gun Club? My old man and grandfather used to be members and I would like to talk to somebody from there. I can barely find any info on it over the internet. I know this isnt the right place to ask, but I like killing birds with one stone.

Thanks!

Follow this, and you'll be just fine. The SKS isn't on the list, so you can skip the first part and go straight to the second. I could explain it easily, but it's honestly better for you to read and understand yourself. Although complicated, can be understood if you read. Try to understand that, and then ask more questions if you still don't understand, or simply to clarify your understanding.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/

The SKS is g2g for any modifications. The law says a semi-automatic firearm that accepts detachable magazines AND has the following evil features yadda yadda. You could put a folding stock on it and be fine as long as it still has a fixed internal mag.

Ypu can do anything you want to a stock SKS as long as you don't change the fixed magazine. You do have to be concerned with 922r compliance however.

I agree completely with the first part.. but the second part has me curious.. do you mean IF the gun is converted to PG or something.. the only thing that would trigger a 922 compliance issue would be high cap mags.. pistol grip..

I agree completely with the first part.. but the second part has me curious.. do you mean IF the gun is converted to PG or something.. the only thing that would trigger a 922 compliance issue would be high cap mags.. pistol grip..

922 compliance would be an issue as the OP said he was going to fit a pistol grip stock. 922 also an issue for a folding stock. Keeping the fixed magazine and 922r compliance would allow you to do both in NJ.

922 compliance would be an issue as the OP said he was going to fit a pistol grip stock. 922 also an issue for a folding stock. Keeping the fixed magazine and 922r compliance would allow you to do both in NJ.

totally missed that.. good call... +1 btw..

So let me get this straight... if I add a pistol grip stock that I were to make, I would have an issue with 922r compliance. The combo of bayonet, and pistol grip would be PRNJ acceptable though. To make an SKS 922r happy with my stock, I would need to add a certain number of American parts, correct? Of which, I could look into a bolt, fixed mag, and thats about it?

Accually, now that I have done more homework I realize the SKS has 14 parts to it, If I replace the stock, I will have 11 or 12 foreign parts on it depending on who you ask (some say the stock equals two parts, others say three). Would a new firing pin count as one 922r part? Not a Tapco bolt, but there is one site offering the spring loaded firing pins that drop in to prevent slamfires.

I would really like to keep the OE bolt, mag, etc.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=27678.0

Here is a link I found describing the parts counted toward compliance.

The stock and the handguard count as separate parts. If you replace the magazine it and the follower that's two more parts (keeping it fixed and 15 rds or under to be NJ legal).

I'm not sure what parts are available out there but outside of major features you desire (pistol grip, folder, etc) I would replace smaller, cheaper parts rather than more expensive ones like the bolt.