Sign in to follow this  
Hoya

Deer Hunting Help

I'm looking into doing some deer hunting this season but am lacking guidance. Could anyone provide some information regarding state requirements with hunter education courses/licensing? I've been doing research online but finding it tough sifting through it all.

You need to complete the hunter education course. Which is comprised of general questions and then questions for each discipline you're going for. (ie bow, shotgun, muzzle loader) You do your studying prior to the field day on your own time using either the state provided materials, or an interactive web based course that charges a minute fee (I recommend it). You then schedule a field day through the DFW website, where you take the written test, and shoot. You're being tested for safe handling not accuracy, with the exception of bow. So it is vital you practice afterwards so you can produce a clean kill. All of the information about getting the hunters ed complete can be found here http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/hunted.htm After you finish that it should clear up a few of your questions. Then be prepared to pony up some cash for licenses and permits :sarcastichand:

In addition to the above info, another good resource to prepare you for the exam, and also gain hunting/safety knowledge is Huntercourse.com. The online course is state specific and should almost guarantee a 100 on the test :icon_e_wink: When I took mine, it was $25 for the online course, that pretty much teaches you everything you need to pass the test and become a safe hunter. When I went for the exam, I took the field walk anyway (when you take the online course, once completed and passed, you get a certificate that entitles you to just take the test and live fire portion of the DFW test day and skip the field walk portion.) I figured I was there, why not just take it.

I took mine @ Ft Dix, and we shot 20g at a few clays to show proper gun handling, safety, etc..

Sorry to not get back sooner, been busy with a lot of stuff.

I have been doing the online hunter course that was suggested (thanks) and its been an awesome help.

Just to clarify some of the rifle regulations.. only muzzleloaders right?

Sorry to not get back sooner, been busy with a lot of stuff.

I have been doing the online hunter course that was suggested (thanks) and its been an awesome help.

Just to clarify some of the rifle regulations.. only muzzleloaders right?

For the most part, yes. There are very very very few exceptions involving small game, but none will probably apply to you, and do not apply to deer hunting.