ClangClang

Can you help me with this M&P15?

I have an opportunity to pick up a ban-compliant Smith&Wesson M&P 15. I *believe* it is the 'Sport' model but I'm not 100% sure. It is the M&P15 ORC model. It would be my first AR. The stock is already pinned and he is including one 10 rd mag. Can anyone help me determine what might be a fair purchase price for this rifle?

As I recall, it has the 16" heavy bull barrel, the internals are all stock and have not had any gunsmithing work done.

Here are the main upgrades:

EOTech 512 with 3X Mag. and mount

Magpul BAD Lever

Magpul MAiD Hand grip

Magpul Mbus Backup Sights

Magpul ASAP Sling Mount With Single point sling

Midwest industries Rail

Surefire E2D with mount

10 Round Mag

Here's a pic:

YTcZT.jpg

Also, any specific questions I should ask when talking to the seller? I've already asked about round count, his cleaning habits, etc.

If I recall correctly, the ORC's sell for $650 to $700. With what it has, and being used, I wouldn't go above $1000. For that money, you could build one to be EXACTLY what you want. Unless this rifle has EVERYTHING you want out of an AR, I'd suggest holding off. S&W makes decent rifles from what I hear, but I personally think there are more benefits to building you own.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that it has the 3x magnification for the EOTech. That would raise the price some more, by $150 to $200. This is all a guess, simply because it's used.

Hi Clangclang,

Actually I have the same exact firearm. I purchased it the day after Obama won the election, LOL! The M&P 15 had been a wonderful rifle over the years and I have customized the heck out of mine over the years, I think that's half the fun of buying an AR! If I get a chance I will see if I can put up some pics. At the time I purchased mine new through Butches Gun World in Vineland for just shy of 1,000. Although prices have seemed to of dropped since this time. All of the Smith and Wesson products have a lifetime warranty. One thing to consider is that the lifetime warranty only applies to the first owner so I do not believe that particular gun will have a warranty but mine has run great over the years and has not yet been in need of repair. This particular gun also has a chrome lined bore to resist corrosion and has a 1 in 9 twist. I have personally found that for some reason my gun is more accurate using heavier bullets such as the PMC Xtac 62 grain and runs better with a descent amount of oil. I hope this info helps!

PS: Is that a capped 30 round mag?

So I guess after posts 2 through 6 you wouldn't believe it's junk and I would do you a favor and offer ya 20 to take it off your hands??? :icon_mrgreen:

Seriously, it's a nice looking and just the style my OL likes and do I but want to build my first one but not until next year.

Harry

Haha, HD, thanks for the offer but I passed on the rifle. You could ask the seller if he'll let it go for $20, but at the price he was asking, I think he might decline.

Thanks for the input everyone, I had a feeling that he was asking too much, but it never hurts to get a 2nd (or 9th) opinion. Much obliged!