Kaiser7

Doing a pro-2A speech, anyone want to help?

Anyway, as the title states, I have to do a persuasive speech for public speaking, and since I tend to give better speeches on topics I'm passionate about, I figured this would be a good topic, and an easy one to do. Basically, I'm looking for any sort of stats that show how legal firearm ownership isn't linked to violence, how it actually decreases crime, etc. Any information for studies, or independent sources are the best, and if anyone can help me with that, it will be very helpful. Of course, any other ideas about how I can approach this topic will be useful as well, so if you have any ideas, fire away. Of course, sources that don't have a conflict of interest would be best (for example, if I cite the president of the NRA or something, that won't be as credible as an independent study). Anyway, just figured you guys would be interested, and probably the most able to help, plus, it's an interesting thing to discuss anyway.

look up the FBI's UCR for 2000 2005 and 2009 and it is documented where while the sale of assault style weapons and large capacity magazines are up the rate of crime fell.

Check here

http://www.lenconnect.com/opinions/editorials/x1968429283/Our-View-FBI-reports-less-crime-despite-more-firearms

Haven't looked at everything you guys have thrown up here yet, but the stuff I did look at is FANTASTIC. I knew you guys would know where to go. I had tried looking in Rowan's databases and things, but couldn't find much there.

I guess there's a lot more evidence out there than I thought.

Nice job with the links to data listed above, as well as the OP for doing this, not only will it be easier to do this on a subject that he and we are very passionate about, it may also reach a few people who hear it and open there eyes.

Another thing to try and work in and/or quantify if that is possible, but most gun owners are for stricter punishment for criminals and guns, not for the BS laws that do nothing but restrict law abiding gun owners.

Harry

Nice job with the links to data listed above, as well as the OP for doing this, not only will it be easier to do this on a subject that he and we are very passionate about, it may also reach a few people who hear it and open there eyes.

Another thing to try and work in and/or quantify if that is possible, but most gun owners are for stricter punishment for criminals and guns, not for the BS laws that do nothing but restrict law abiding gun owners.

Harry

I agree 100% with that, I figured pointing that out will undermine my opponent's likely argument. My opponent is a NJ cop who doesn't believe we should be able to own automatics and what-not, but he'll likely debate from the all guns are evil standpoint. He's a nice guy, but I pretty much already have the edge over him debate wise.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'll post rough drafts, and the final copy if anyone wants to see it. I plan to start it this weekend, but the material you guys have provided so far will be extremely useful, especially the FBI stats. I knew I was coming to the right place. :good:

Be sure to throw in there references to "Fast And Furious" to show that we can't trust the Government to EVER do the right thing when it comes to guns... Might be a nice rebuttal during your debate.

May have to do that another time. Don't get me wrong, people should know about that, but I don't think it could help me in this case. I pretty much plan just to do the whole "Gun control disarms law abiding citizens, gives criminals the upper hand, there are X amount of registered "assault" weapons, none of which have been used in a crime, crime rates in areas with loose gun laws are lower, the black market will still allow criminals to get guns, and that laws should be targeted towards law breakers, not regular citizens."

I was planning on opening, or at least working in the quote from Jefferson about how "an unarmed man can be assailed with greater confidence than one who is armed."

On a separate note, I don't get the whole anti-gun thing, I really don't. My boss's son said to me "every time I hear about a shooting I think they should outlaw guns." He couldn't understand the whole issue that criminals can still get them. It's depressing that people really believe that those laws are effective...

May have to do that another time. Don't get me wrong, people should know about that, but I don't think it could help me in this case. I pretty much plan just to do the whole "Gun control disarms law abiding citizens, gives criminals the upper hand, there are X amount of registered "assault" weapons, none of which have been used in a crime, crime rates in areas with loose gun laws are lower, the black market will still allow criminals to get guns, and that laws should be targeted towards law breakers, not regular citizens."

I was planning on opening, or at least working in the quote from Jefferson about how "an unarmed man can be assailed with greater confidence than one who is armed."

On a separate note, I don't get the whole anti-gun thing, I really don't. My boss's son said to me "every time I hear about a shooting I think they should outlaw guns." He couldn't understand the whole issue that criminals can still get them. It's depressing that people really believe that those laws are effective...

Misinformation is the name of the game. Perception is god, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. People are blind to the truth because they see what they want to see. This is why people brought up in one environment such as a rural area can have completely different ideals from those brought up in a suburban area. Gun control advocates realize this and use it to their advantage, which is quite dangerous for us law abiding citizens who can see that guns are not the problem. The problem is, most people are uninformed and unexperienced, thus they form their opinions based on what is given to them in the media and from the people around them, rather than from past experiences and facts. It is very much like a virus, which can only be counteracted by showing people that the root of the problem is not the tool, but rather the user.