Sign in to follow this  
penthall

Foam cutter for pelican case

Anyone in the Somerville area have a "hot wire" foam cutter? I'm looking to custom cut my foam on a new pelican rifle case and satisfy my OCD. I've seen all the articles on how to build one for this purpose but just wanted to see if anyone can save me the trouble. Willing to trade a box of ammo for one night's use.

post-2755-0-82003700-1319730190_thumb.jpg

I put my rifle on the foam, traced it with white chalk, then used the electric Knife from the kitchen, it cut and worked perfect. it was super easy.. just an idea in case you can't get a hot knife

Pelican also mentioned @ Shot Show last year that if you roll the foam up and put in the freezer, it condenses the foam and makes it easier to cut as well. I just used the electric knife and now my son has a Remington 700 w/scope and a Garand foam gun to run around with :-)

Anyone in the Somerville area have a "hot wire" foam cutter? I'm looking to custom cut my foam on a new pelican rifle case and satisfy my OCD. I've seen all the articles on how to build one for this purpose but just wanted to see if anyone can save me the trouble. Willing to trade a box of ammo for one night's use.

Don't waste your time with a "hot wire foam cutter". I had one I would have gave you, but I threw it away. If you want to make a single, straight cut, it works great. If you want to make any sort of curved cut, or an interior cut, like you would for cutting the outline of a rifle, it is complete garbage. I don't know, maybe you just have to have a ton of patience, but I certainly didn't have enough. Biggest PITA ever.

I would suggest anything else, like the suggestions others have listed, or as you mentioned, build your own working foam cutter.

Not sure how deep you're cutting or if the layer you are cutting can come out, but I've found utility knives with brand new blades work exceptionally well at cutting case insert foam. You can get some at Home Depot and various craft stores that extend from a plastic handle several inches. they need to be knew - nice and sharp.

What might work is if you could make a template out off plywood or 1/4" hardboard, place it on your foam where you want the cut to be and then put weight on top of it to flatten the foam...the follow the pattern with your cutter. Probably more work then what you want to do but for serious OCD.... :)

Just an idea have you tried a local upholstry place for foam?

To be honest no, but believe or not that was going to be my next step. :icon_mrgreen:

By the way I do not know the model number, I looked all over the box to no avail, but here are the measurements for the bottom depth:

13 3/4" Width

35" Long

3 1/2" Thickness

SIGFoam.jpg

Unless someone want to buy it.... ;)