Sign in to follow this  
Underdog

EEA Witness Combo 45/22 or 9/22

Does anybody have any experience with either of these all-steel handgun sets? Are there NJ mags available for the 9mm version? Are magazines difficult to find?

Essentially these are steel-framed Witness's in either 9mm or .45 ACP that come with an addtional .22LR conversion slide. Is the grip on a Witness full-size larger than a CZ 75B?

At one time I considered a Witness 9/22 combo, and learned two important facts.

1. the .22 kit does not have last shot hold open feature.

2. the standard magazine capacity for 9mm is 17 rounds which makes it illegal in NJ, so you'll be stuck with aftermarket 10rd mags.

As far as 9mm gun itself, it's not much different from a CZ-75 and/or a Baby Eagle, which are both good guns.

I would mostly be purchasing it for the 22LR and the 9 or 45 would be a bonus. However, if the slide doesn't stay open, it would appear that the 22 is sort of an afterthought to the whole thing and not what I am looking for. Why aren't there any options for an all-steel 22LR w/ about a 5 1/2 in barrel besides the Rugers, which I still want.

Where can I get a Colt Woodsman at a good price?

or the Chiappa or GSG 1911 clones, or Sig Mosquito. There are a lot of 22LR clones of service pistols available these days.

If you own a Glock or 1911, you can buy 22LR conversion kits for them. Some of those kits are really nice (I particularly like the Advantage Arms kit for my Glock - has last round hold open, and no need to bother with a separate permit to purchase)

Why aren't there any options for an all-steel 22LR w/ about a 5 1/2 in barrel besides the Rugers, which I still want.

I think cause if you had an all steel slide the it would be too heavy for the 22lr cartridge to cycle properly.

Most of the 22 slides are made of aluminum which is why they don't lock back. The steel slide lock would wear

them down. The ones that do lock back have a steel insert for the slide lock to catch.