acaixguard

Transporting JHP ammo out of state

Quick question about JHP ammo. I know it's legal to keep at home, and transport to a range for use there. If I wanted to transport it to PA for any reason, such as a training class or CCW (with a FL or UT permit of course), is this still considered legal? Just concerned if I got pulled over, or got into an accident on the way to PA, and a NJ LEO sees JHP rounds in my car, would my out of state explanation be sufficient?

Well, actually, it's illegal even if you happen to have a NJ CCW (ie. retired LEO). In that case, the person carrying isn't committing a crime, but is now guilty of illegal possession of hollow points.

From what I've learned, it's also illegal to just have the rounds on you as you go about your daily business. For example, if I left a hollow point bullet in my pocket (just the head itself counts; it doesn't have to be the entire round) while I was out shopping, and somehow got caught with it, I could get in trouble for that.

• Like 1

Well, actually, it's illegal even if you happen to have a NJ CCW (ie. retired LEO). In that case, the person carrying isn't committing a crime, but is now guilty of illegal possession of hollow points.

Carrying as in CCW and transporting are 2 different things, you can leave the state with HP ammo, and remember the PR of NJ laws end at the state line.

Carrying as in CCW and transporting are 2 different things, you can leave the state with HP ammo, and remember the PR of NJ laws end at the state line.

That's what I just wanted to be sure of. I know NJ laws mention what the legal conditions are for transporting JHP within the state. But not sure how that applies if you are going out of state, where your next stop isn't to head straight to a shooting range or event.

Basically, if someone were to outright say "I have JHP rounds because I am heading out of state and plan to CCW (legally) there", will that person be able to stay out of hot water?

From what I've learned, it's also illegal to just have the rounds on you as you go about your daily business. For example, if I left a hollow point bullet in my pocket (just the head itself counts; it doesn't have to be the entire round) while I was out shopping, and somehow got caught with it, I could get in trouble for that.

You are correct in that the bullet itself, not the whole cartridge, is what is illegal. In the police academy they told us that the easy way to remember was that if the person could legally possess a handgun without a carry permit then he could legally possess HP ammo as the list of exemptions is the same (2C:39-6f).

Well, actually, it's illegal even if you happen to have a NJ CCW (ie. retired LEO).

Well yes...and no. If you are not a retired LEO and have a NJ CCW permit you would be in violation. A retired LEO carrying under LEOSA can carry hollowpoints which the NJ AG says is a no no. State law cannot contradict Federal law. I doubt you will ever see a test case as that would clear things up.