Tactical Turtle

building a lefty ar

I know stag makes them, but I want more options, figured I do.t have all 900 bucks right now to buy one plus fees and what not.. so I decided I am going to build one piece by piece, anyone have any insite on a nice lower, parts kit and complete or build ur own uppers??

Build an ambi gun, NOT a lefty. This way you can pick up any AR and be fully acquainted in it's function and operation. As a lefty myself I've learned to deal with my special talent and run with it.

That's why I want a Lefty, but I want something besides a stag.... I can fully build one I guess with online guides and videos. I found a few companies that sell stripped uppers in Lefty, but there 290 for a stripped upper lol so for 500 I can get a complete upper, so a stripped lower with a parts kit and complete upper can be done for about 750 instead of buying built for 970 for a Lefty

I don't know. I think I would either build a lefty or learn to shoot righty. Otherwise you're gonna get a face full of brass everytime you pull the trigger.

No you don't, ARs usually fling the brass 10 feet away.

I don't know. I think I would either build a lefty or learn to shoot righty. Otherwise you're gonna get a face full of brass everytime you pull the trigger.

We are talking about AR's right? They have brass deflectors...

We are talking about AR's right? They have brass deflectors...

After a quick search, I saw that. That seems to be a better solution than spending extra on a lefty model. I'm so glad I wasn't born backwards :icon_e_wink:

cguiro, have you shot an AR before? If not, I would suggest trying one before sinking money into a lefty build. From what I found on a quick google of lefty AR's, it seems that most people don't have an issue with brass flying in their faces with todays modern AR's.

The main issue lefty's have (with a lot of firearms) is the manipulation of the controls (magazine release, safety/selector, and bolt/charging handle). Though I say issue, it is more just an annoyance. If you are going to be buying a new rifle, and you are a lefty, you might as well get/built something that is more suited and easier for you to use though right?

I'm a lefty and I have a right handed AR that I'm slowly "upgrading" with ambi parts, but really, most of them aren't a problem. The mag release I operate with my right thumb, then I don't have to take my left hand off the grip. I added a BAD lever to more easily lock the bolt back with my trigger finger and drop the bolt with my right thumb after loading a new mag. I'm ok with the selector since I can hit it with my trigger finger, but I want to get an ambi selector switch. The only thing left that I would say is really a must is an ambi charging handle. It's very difficult to charge the rifle with my right hand having to reach across my face and then remount the rifle. I have never had any brass in my face. The only thing is I'm breathing in some of the gases, but that could be regardless of which side you shoot from.

This all reminds me of the episode of Sons of Guns where a guy wants his AR reconfigured because he can't shoot well and he's lefty. They put an AR in his hands and have him shoot it right handed and he says it's terrible. Then they swap the upper for a left handed one and he shoots it lefty. Meanwhile I'm screaming at my tv to have him shoot the right handed AR as a lefty and get it over with like the rest of us lefties. I typically find that I have an advantage shooting right handed guns as a lefty because I don't really have to break my grip on handguns to drop the magazine, and I slingshot the slide rather than use the slide release.

Anyway, a little off topic at the end, but that's my .02.

I'm a lefty and I have a right handed AR that I'm slowly "upgrading" with ambi parts, but really, most of them aren't a problem. The mag release I operate with my right thumb, then I don't have to take my left hand off the grip. I added a BAD lever to more easily lock the bolt back with my trigger finger and drop the bolt with my right thumb after loading a new mag. I'm ok with the selector since I can hit it with my trigger finger, but I want to get an ambi selector switch. The only thing left that I would say is really a must is an ambi charging handle. It's very difficult to charge the rifle with my right hand having to reach across my face and then remount the rifle. I have never had any brass in my face. The only thing is I'm breathing in some of the gases, but that could be regardless of which side you shoot from.

Thank you, I'm gunna try a righty, and see if I can make it work, I'm looking up Ambi parts right now there a tad more expensive though lol

This all reminds me of the episode of Sons of Guns where a guy wants his AR reconfigured because he can't shoot well and he's lefty. They put an AR in his hands and have him shoot it right handed and he says it's terrible. Then they swap the upper for a left handed one and he shoots it lefty. Meanwhile I'm screaming at my tv to have him shoot the right handed AR as a lefty and get it over with like the rest of us lefties. I typically find that I have an advantage shooting right handed guns as a lefty because I don't really have to break my grip on handguns to drop the magazine, and I slingshot the slide rather than use the slide release.

Anyway, a little off topic at the end, but that's my .02.

Blank post or just me? Either way, all I see is my post quoted.

Edit: Just realized you replied in the middle of the quote. The ambi parts are kind of expensive, but it's one of those we just have to deal with. My recommendation is give a righty AR a try, and if you like it, get one and upgrade the parts. My suggestion are the BAD lever (about $20-30) and the ambi charging handle (about $80). The rest I don't find absolutely necessary, but nice-to-haves.

Really, can I put Ambi controls on a standard lower??

I am a southpaw and all my AR's are standard right-hand rifles with DPMS ambi safeties and Norgon ambi mag releases EXCEPT for my match rifle

which is a Stag 5HL upper on a standard lower.

It's great to be able to shoot the slow prone stage without having to break and remake my position every shot.

Want to shoot it? Come down to SJSC one of the days we're shooting Frozen Nutz match this winter. First of the 4 dates is December 11. We'll take it over to the 100 yd range after the match (noonish) and you can get a feel for "the other side"

Why is it so expensive for Ambi ****, u can buy a stripped lower for 100 Bux, full parts kit for about 70.... A Ambi mag release 90, Ambi charging handle 90 and selector is 60 lol wtf hmmmmm lol so 350 ish for my lower and charging handle....5ush for a upper still cheaper then buying one lol

I am a southpaw and all my AR's are standard right-hand rifles with DPMS ambi safeties and Norgon ambi mag releases EXCEPT for my match rifle

which is a Stag 5HL upper on a standard lower.

It's great to be able to shoot the slow prone stage without having to break and remake my position every shot.

Want to shoot it? Come down to SJSC one of the days we're shooting Frozen Nutz match this winter. First of the 4 dates is December 11. We'll take it over to the 100 yd range after the match (noonish) and you can get a feel for "the other side"

Tru, I will take u up on it if the range isn't to far away. Where is it located and what ammo u prefer for ur rifle so I can get some to shoot

JMHO, but, try a "regular" AR before you go buying a bunch of ambi parts.

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant, so I shoot my ARs left handed. I don't have any ambi controls installed - I simply found ways to make the right hand controls work for me. I use my left trigger finger to engage/disengage the safety, my right thumb for the mag release, and my right hand wrapped around the magwell to engage the bolt release. For the charging handle, I roll the gun and pretend it's a backwards AK (BCM gunfighter charging handle helps with that). Yes, I'm probably half a second slower than the guys shooting right handed, but I can live with that.

Anyway, the point is, you can make a right handed AR work for a left hander without having to drop extra coin on parts. You just gotta practice a little. If, after practicing, you decide that you want the ambi controls, it's easy enough to add them down the line.

Yes you can put ambi parts on a righty lower. They cost more because they don't sell as many as standard parts so they can't make them by the millions. See here (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/892344/badger-ordnance-ambidextrous-charging-handle-assembly-with-tactical-latch-ar-15-aluminum-matte) for a $70 ambi charging handle. It's out of stock right now, but I plan on getting that one eventually. You could also just get a standard righty charging handle that has a larger tactical latch on it (that's the BCM gunfighter charging handle Caine mentioned) that's easier to operate over the top, but that's up to your preference.

As many have said, try it before you start swapping parts to see what you can get away with. For me, unlike Caine, I can't wrap my hand all the way around to reach the bolt release, and I don't like have to reach across the top. I also don't have enough hands to hold the rifle in one, pull the charging handle back with another, and activate the bolt lock with a third, so I bought a Magpul BAD lever so my trigger finger can actuate the bolt lock. And I don't like having to fumble with the small latch on the opposite side on the standard charging handle, so I'm going to get an ambi handle with a larger tactical latch. It's all personal preference.