lunker

Change To Magnum Primers

I decided to use Blue Dot powder in 45ACP because I like filling cases. It is too easy to have a double charge with Bullseye and Winchester 231. That will never happen with a pretty slow powder like Blue Dot.

I am loading a 230 grain Delta Precision bullets using a medium strength load of Blue Dot powder. I have the Lee Factory Crimp Die and am putting a good taper crimp on these rounds.

At the range though, when I shoot these through my Model 25-2 revolver, I find unburnt powder in the cylinder and on the counter in my shooting stall. Worse still, the powder residue is preventing me from loading my moon clip in the cylinder because the debris is caked on the cylinder walls and stops the bullets from seating fully and properly. I generally need to take a bore brush and scrub my cylinder just to shoot the next moon clip.

My first instinct when I see unburnt powder in a revolver is to think it's too loose a crimp. But it is nice and tight though. I am not on the high end of the load range, so it is not a case of too much powder (according to the Lyman reloading manual anyway). Would you switch to magnum primers? I know the ultimate answer is to switch powders, but i would like to get something working in Blue Dot. I figure that since 45ACP is such a low pressure round to begin with, and I am shooting it from an N frame S&W, I should be good. Any opinions?

If I remember correctly, they just had an article in Handloader magazine on this, it wasn't for .45 ACP, I think it was an oddball caliber. I'll try and remember when I get home to take a look and give you more info, and if there happens to be you or anyone that's shooting OB this Friday at the Indoor range classifier, or Sunday at the OD range for Steel and wants to relay it to you let me know, I'll bring the mag for you.

I am way too new to start experimenting like that, I am experiencing with minor loads but thats as far as I feel comfortable going for now.

If I remember correctly, they just had an article in Handloader magazine on this, it wasn't for .45 ACP, I think it was an oddball caliber. I'll try and remember when I get home to take a look and give you more info, and if there happens to be you or anyone that's shooting OB this Friday at the Indoor range classifier, or Sunday at the OD range for Steel and wants to relay it to you let me know, I'll bring the mag for you.

I am way too new to start experimenting like that, I am experiencing with minor loads but thats as far as I feel comfortable going for now.

Actually, I have a bunch of back issues. I should look through them.

I've been using Wolf large pistol primers. I will give the magnum primers a try. It's not such a bad thing either. I have 5000 of them and no calibers that generally use large pistol magnum primers. That or I will buy myself a 44 mag. :)

I've been using Wolf large pistol primers. I will give the magnum primers a try. It's not such a bad thing either. I have 5000 of them and no calibers that generally use large pistol magnum primers. That or I will buy myself a 44 mag. :)

Chris, I don't see that as a decision of one or the other.. :icon_mrgreen:

Winchesters supposedly are hotter than othe standard primers but I have no actual proof of it. Just stuff I picked up over the years. Substituting a magnum for a standard is no big deal if you start the loads at the min and work up. You have been reloading long enough to know how to be careful.

IMO blue dot is way too slow for 45 ACP. Can you load 45 ACP with Blue Dot...yes, but you will have problems like you are having. Blue Dot is close to 2400 in burn rate and thats considered a magnum load powder. If there is that much crap left in the gun after shooting you need to use a faster powder. If its fouling up a revolver think what it would do to a semiauto. You will continue to have these problems if you insist on trying to make Blue Dot work.

I've been loading 45aCP for over 35 years. The slowest powder I use in 45 is Unique. I use 6.0 of Unique over a 200 LSWC as a standard load. Lyman lists over 7 grs as maximum. This gives me about 950 fps. Enough zip to do what you need to do and its not hard on the gun. The gun is a little dirty after 100 rds of this but no where near what you're experiencing. I understand your concern about double charging. IIRC 12 grs of Unique will overflow the case. If not it is pretty obvious you have a double charge.

If you want to try magnum primers I'd back down the charge a bit.

Save the Blue Dot for magnum revolver loads.