avc8130

NJSP 3 Forms for Handgun Purchase Permit?

I picked up the "application instructions" to fill out ahead of time since I still have 14 days before I am allowed to hand them in due to the appointment (Jan 4) requirement with NJSP (I requested the appointment 12/12). What I found is the following:

1. I need to supply 2 stamped envelopes with my references addresses filled out already.

2. $18 certified check or money order.

3. $2 check for each pistol permit.

4. Passport (apparently NJDL is good enough to give you a speeding ticket, but not good enough for REAL ID in this state)

All of that seems somewhat normal to me. What is interesting to me is that I need 3 forms:

1. STS033 (normal)

2. SP66 (normal)

3. SBI212A (?)

Is the SBI form proper, or is the NJSP adding a form to their own process?

ac

• Like 1

...Passport (apparently NJDL is good enough to give you a speeding ticket, but not good enough for REAL ID in this state)...
How so? The information sheet specifically says Birth Certificate or Passport. Driver's License and FPID are required ALSO.

First quote implied Passport trumped DL. Not true. DL has: 1. Name, 2. Address, 3. DOB, and 4. Photo

#4 is BS. A DL trumps everything. One needs the BC to get the DL.

First quote implied Passport trumped DL. Not true. DL has: 1. Name, 2. Address, 3. DOB, and 4. Photo

#4 is BS. A DL trumps everything. One needs the BC to get the DL.

FALSE.

A DL is NOT good enough to get an FPID or a PPP from the NJSP. One must ALSO have a passport or BC in their possession...at the station.

I need to do a change of address for my FID card and I also want to get a few pistol purchase permits too.

Questions:

1. What is the turn around time for pistol purchase permits via the State Police lately? (I think I need to go to Hamilton Barracks)

2. Even though I can only buy one a month, can I apply for more then one purchase permit at a time? (I'd like to get three) - since they are valid for 90 days, that would / should allow one per month.

I didnt move, the postal service changed the name of the town I live in based upon mail delivery only. But now my FID does not match my drivers license which already has the new town listed on it.

I need to do a change of address for my FID card and I also want to get a few pistol purchase permits too.

Questions:

1. What is the turn around time for pistol purchase permits via the State Police lately? (I think I need to go to Hamilton Barracks)

2. Even though I can only buy one a month, can I apply for more then one purchase permit at a time? (I'd like to get three) - since they are valid for 90 days, that would / should allow one per month.

I didnt move, the postal service changed the name of the town I live in based upon mail delivery only. But now my FID does not match my drivers license which already has the new town listed on it.

There is a specific Change of Address form, but in this case, since you are applying for some Permits to Purchase too, it will be easier to use the STS-033. Just check the change of address box at the top and indicate the number of P2P's that you want - you cannot be limited in the number of P2P's you apply for. You only use the NJSP if your municipality has no police force and you use the NJSP facility that is responsible for policing your municipality. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

A drivers license is all you need as PK90 said, I know this because I did it 2 months ago from the State Police (Bridgeton barracks)

And there was no appointment for anything, I picked up my paperwork one day and dropped it off the next then played the waiting game.

There is a specific Change of Address form, but in this case, since you are applying for some Permits to Purchase too, it will be easier to use the STS-033. Just check the change of address box at the top and indicate the number of P2P's that you want - you cannot be limited in the number of P2P's you apply for. You only use the NJSP if your municipality has no police force and you use the NJSP facility that is responsible for policing your municipality. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob, however it is my understanding that the pistol purchase permits expire in 90 days, and with the one a month limit I guess the most permits I could request is three. Am I interpreting this correctly? How long do you think I might be forced to wait? Yes, where I live (western Monmouth County) we are served by the State Police and I believe it is from the Hamilton Barracks.

A drivers license is all you need as PK90 said, I know this because I did it 2 months ago from the State Police (Bridgeton barracks)

And there was no appointment for anything, I picked up my paperwork one day and dropped it off the next then played the waiting game.

I am so glad you "know" this. However, at Augusta Barracks, where I MUST go, the instruction sheet they REQUIRE me to pick up BEFORE I MAKE AN APPOINTMENT, specifically states that I MUST bring a Passport or Birth Certificate.

In fact, why should a driver's license be REQUIRED? What, now you have to have permission to drive to own a gun in this state too?

Thanks Bob, however it is my understanding that the pistol purchase permits expire in 90 days, and with the one a month limit I guess the most permits I could request is three. Am I interpreting this correctly? How long do you think I might be forced to wait? Yes, where I live (western Monmouth County) we are served by the State Police and I believe it is from the Hamilton Barracks.

There are several reasons why you may want more than the , logically seeming, three permits. One, as mentioned, you may be able to extend unused permits for another 90 days (180 days from date of issue, total), but this is discretionary and I'm not sure how the NJSP view this. I've only heard of one municipality where the chief denies extensions (on this board).

The other reason is for multiple purchases under the OGAM exemptions. While the exemptions are outside the 30 day OGAM requirement you still need one P2P per firearm being purchased. Forms to file for the multi-gun exemption can be found on the NJSP website.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Visited my local State Police Troop today to drop off all my paperwork. Also spent about 15-20 minutes before that searching the web for form "SBI-212A" which I learned cannot be downloaded via the web as it is yellow and must be completed in person at time of application.

1. STS033 (normal)

2. SP66 (normal - mental health)

3. SBI212A (yellow form, background check)

What I learned (which may help someone else in a similar situation) that they will only accept an $18 money order to accompany and pay for the SBI-212A form, no personal checks. (They will accept personal checks for the pistol purchase permits though.)

If you are covered by State Police and not local police, be sure to search out your proper Troop that covers your area as the application gets assigned to a local Trooper first to do an initial investigation. Also, because my neighbor is a State Police Detective, I mentioned his name so that might help speed up the initial investrigation some. (Worthwhile doing if you know a police officer or trooper.)

Now the wait begins....

(Address change and pistol permits)

GiantsFan,

What you found is just about exactly what I found. When I went to the post office today for the money order, the clerk said "firearms?". Apparently NJSP is keeping the USPS in business with their MO requirements! :-)

I also couldn't find SBI212A online so I have the other 2 filled out via .pdf to make their lives easier and will fill that one out in front of them.

Did you need stamepd envelops with your references on them?

How about ID?

ac

GiantsFan,

What you found is just about exactly what I found. When I went to the post office today for the money order, the clerk said "firearms?". Apparently NJSP is keeping the USPS in business with their MO requirements! :-)

I also couldn't find SBI212A online so I have the other 2 filled out via .pdf to make their lives easier and will fill that one out in front of them.

Did you need stamepd envelops with your references on them?

How about ID?

ac

I too was prepared with unstamped pre-addressed envelopes for my two references and I had stamps with me just in case but the envelopes were not requested by the desk sergent who helped me. For I.D. he asked for my drivers license and since I already had an existing F.I.D., he asked for that too. He made copies of both. (I was also prepared and had my birth certificate as well as passport with me although neiter were requested.)

He said it should be about 6-8 weeks for turn around.

Application is dropped off. Trooper confirmed that I needed the passport and that a driver's license was not sufficient.

He said ~2 months to get the permits back.

ac

I guess that maybe every NJSP barracks does it differently??? I'm putting in for PPP's this week at my local NJSP barracks and the only thing it says for ID:

"Bring photo ID with you when paperwork is submitted (NJ drivers license, military ID card, or a passport, for example).

All Applicants who are US citizens will be required to provide proff of citizenship when submitting an applications for a handgun purchase permit.

This can be in the form of a passport OR notarized birth certificate or immigration/naturalization papers"

So, this means that if you have a birth certificate, then a passport is NOT required.

Maybe in my case it was because I already had an F.I.D. Card (was only doing an address change and applying for pistol purchase permits) that they didnt ask for my birth certificate or passport. I had them with me though just in case. They took a photocopy of my old FID Card and drivers license only.

Maybe in my case it was because I already had an F.I.D. Card (was only doing an address change and applying for pistol purchase permits) that they didnt ask for my birth certificate or passport. I had them with me though just in case. They took a photocopy of my old FID Card and drivers license only.

I have FPID already. This was just PPP application.

ac