Bully

Anyone Ever Built a 1911?

I am very seriously contemplating building a 1911. I've never done it before, but I do have SOME mechanical ability. I have been talking to Bob at Fusion about one of his kits and that is most likely the way I will go, but I wanted to ask those on here that have done this before what they would have done differently the first time around. So, what would you have done differently the first time using hindsight as a 20/20 mirror? What books, videos, etc. would you recommend? I would like to get something like the AGI vids, but they are not in the budget right now. I'm thinking Walt Kuleck's book and Jerry Kuunhausen's book will get me through as well as folks on here.

I am looking to build a range gun. Something I can take with me and have a lot of fun shooting and a lot of fun knowing that I built it. Maybe shoot local competitions. I love putting my hand in things that I will be using. I like knowing how and why things work. It's very fun and relaxing for me.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the responses.

C

This is something i have seriously considered as well. Ive talked to the guys at fusion about building myself a 10mm bobtail commander, They great guys there.

I also went to midway.com and brownells and looked at their fitted slides and frames. which were pretty cool as well.

Im very interested to see how your project turns out

I have earlier this year....

I must say I read alot about the process prior to tackling it and it is a milspec gun...Kulecks book is reccommended

I acquired a full remington rand type iii slide...with HS marked barrel as well as all the internals

that are milspec from a fellow who was selling a bunch of reloading gear...all I needed was a frame.

I opted for an essex frame and had it transferred in.

From start to finish it took me about 36 hours (maybe a bit less cause I was doing it in spurts) of fitting pinning finishing etc...

It was rather painless and she is a real tack driver.

I did nothing fancy to it other than adding a full length guide rod and duracoating it. Ok I KNOW the slide is worth some money but I had two and kept one...

I'll upload some pics....

But after 200 rounds ( I did a complete detail strip clean and re-assemble after every 50) I have had not one stoppage at all and she is settling in nicely...

Go for it !!! :-)

20111217_221247.jpg

20111217_221255.jpg

20111217_221222.jpg

20111217_221228.jpg

There are several levels of building a 1911 from what I would call tweaking and assembly all the way to ground up build. I do the latter and when all is said and done I put probably in the neighborhood of 200 to 250 hours into it.

I am thinking(hoping) that the kits will be more in the assembling with minor fitting. Do you have any experience with any of them? Would/could you recommend any?

C

1911 Colt Style, by FUSION 5 inch 45 ACP Tactical HUNTER-5 ELITE

The Fusion Firearms Hunter is a 5 inch 45 acp 1911 style pistol Kit. This is a good choice for those that want a Tactical 1911 Sport pistol with all of the modern and desirable options included. Chambered in the 45 ACP cartridge, the Hunter-5 is ready for action games, tactical defense and target shooting. The Hunter-5 tactical Elite, has a tactical frame accessory rail to aid in adding optics and scope mounting systems.

This Kit Comes complete with:

• Fitted frame with .250 radius cut for high ride beavertail grip safety, Plunger tube and ejector already installed.
  • Undercut trigger guard
  • Checkered front-strap on Tactical model
  • Beveled mag well
  • Tactical accessory rail on Hunter Tactical Elite.
  • Ejector installed
  • Plunger tube installed
  • Fitted Slide with serrations, lowered and relieved ejection port, and sight cuts
  • Head-spaced barrel and slide
  • Fitted stainless steel match grade ramped barrel, link and pin
  • Fitted barrel bushing
  • Fitted Slide stop
  • Novak sight cuts
  • Recoil system, Guide rod, plug and spring
  • Fusion Tech support, and -
    • 15% off all additional parts purchased from Fusion for your 1911 Easy Fit kit build.
    • 15% off all finishing services such as bluing and Parkerizing

$795.00 (plus shipping)

Read that novella all the way thru at work the other day (don't ask, bad day).

It was a good read and reinforced that I don't want to "cheap out" on the components.

I'm thinking this might be a good start. Any thoughts?

C

After a lot of second guessing on my part and going round and round in my head about what to do, I am ordering the frame and slide today. I would love to get a "kit", but they don't make one that I can swing configured the way I would want it. So, it's gonna be piecemeal. Whatever, it'll take a little longer.

Going with a full dustcover/slabside in 9mm. I will start a "build thread" as soon as I get started on it. I am one of the raffle winners on another site, so I have a 100 dollar gift cert. from Brownell's to help me along. This should be fun.

C

After a lot of second guessing on my part and going round and round in my head about what to do, I am ordering the frame and slide today. I would love to get a "kit", but they don't make one that I can swing configured the way I would want it. So, it's gonna be piecemeal. Whatever, it'll take a little longer.

Going with a full dustcover/slabside in 9mm. I will start a "build thread" as soon as I get started on it. I am one of the raffle winners on another site, so I have a 100 dollar gift cert. from Brownell's to help me along. This should be fun.

C

Looking forward to your build/assemble/tweak thread....

No offense meant to Shane45 at all............but I would call what your doing 'building'....... sure others might say asembly.... sure some might say tweaking... I'll say build...

My interpretation, I would say that a ground up build would be taking a raw forging of frame slide etc...then going from there...and if that is what is considered a ground up build then I am VERY impressed Shane45 and above MY skill level...LOL ......care to teach me.... hint hint :icon_cool:

Well....Id call that manufacturing and although I have the capability, I dont have the type 7 FFL :D The next step up being what I call ground up would be where machining is required. Such as machining the rails, sight cuts, beavertail etc etc. Then there would be buying a pre-fitted framd and slide and drop in barrel whic I would put in the assembly catagory. Tweaking is what I refer to when you are working with a pistol that already has been assembled as a factory pistol from another manufacturer such as using a springfield armory GI as a base gun perhaps. Just my own little definitions and ideas on the subject :D

I will be assembling. I will need to fit the frame and slide. Barrel will be a drop in, not sure which one yet. I will need to silver solder the front strap as I don't like the checkering and want it smooth. The rest wil be adding parts and tuning to my abilities. Then, she'll go off to a smith to be checked for safety. I'm hoping for a 40-50 hour project. It's gonna take longer than a while as it's an "as funds permit" kinda thing. However, I'm excited to get it going.

C