RedBowTies88

Refinishing help...

So I'm sure there's probably a dozen threads here pretaining to refinishing a rifle stock, but I'm looking to do something a little different.

I have a battlefield pickup wooden stock set from what I've learned is most likely a romanian ak-74. I'm going to use only the stock and forget about the foregrip for now.

as of now, this is how it looks

pickupstock1.jpg

pickupstock2.jpg

This his how I would like it to look.

timbersmithblack.jpg

I don't want it to be shiny at all, and I want it to feel like natural wood, not like a hard laquer or laminate like most stocks. Is that possible? and if so will it realisticly be more susceptible to the elements?

anyone have any ideas for how to do this? I know jack squat about wood working but I do have a orbital sander...

after a good sanding, to bring out the grain of the wood, it looks like that stock was stained with either black or dark gray stain (apply plenty with a rag, and then wipe off with a dry rag, then apply some Tung or Lineseed oil, wipe on and wipe off. should give you approx what you're looking for, a smooth, non waxy type finish. i would suggest testing on a hidden part (that wont show when the stock is attached) first and see how you like the results.

The stock may require re-oiling after a certain period of time. weather will either ruin or wear out the finish earlier. if you need any info, look up oiled guitar necks.

use a stripper to remove the varnish. Lightly sand the rough spots and bring it to a smooth finish. Get some 400 grit wet sandpaper(use it dry) then apply some boiled linseed oil. Once the linseed oil has dried, put another coat on. 1 coat a day for about a week. This will hydrate the wood and start to fill the pores. Then get some gunney paste (the recipe is online) or order some Toms stock wax mix online. Buff the stock wax in by hand and work it in really good. I let it sit overnight then buff it out. Put maybe 3 coats on and call it good. Its a lot of work but the results are amazing.