M1152

Saiga .223 ammo dilemma

Anyone else out there with a Saiga 223 and if so are you using 5.56 ammo? I don’t know if I’m just being over cautious or not so I figured I’d throw it out there. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos that say it’s OK and the guy in this post and the owner’s manual appear to indicate no problem with 5.56

The reason I’m asking is I was always told go by what is stamped on the gun. I have a Ruger14 and .233 is stamped on the that gun as well so it’s kind of the same thing. In the Ruger owner’s manual and it says .223 and 5.56x45 in parentheses (like the Saiga owner's manual) so again I would think 5.56 is OK. I called Ruger and the Rep said ALL Mini14(s) with the exception of the Target rifle could safely shoot 5.56, that was a few years ago and haven't any issue with the Mini14 and 5.56. So any thoughts of the Saiga with 5.56?

Thanks in advance

rephrase.. the manufacture has stated no issues with shooting 556.. I am %100 sure.. I suspect the reasoning to stamp 223 is due to making the rifle appear to be more geared towards civilian..

with all that said.. just shoot wolf or any other stuff.. works fine..

rephrase.. the manufacture has stated no issues with shooting 556.. I am %100 sure.. I suspect the reasoning to stamp 223 is due to making the rifle appear to be more geared towards civilian..

with all that said.. just shoot wolf or any other stuff.. works fine..

Thank you sir, I have a bunch or Silver Bear I have to blow off first then I give the 5.56 a try

Thank you sir, I have a bunch or Silver Bear I have to blow off first then I give the 5.56 a try

what I was saying is that unless you already have some 556 there is really no point in getting it? there is plenty of cheap 223 available (wolf silver bear etc..)

what I was saying is that unless you already have some 556 there is really no point in getting it? there is plenty of cheap 223 available (wolf silver bear etc..)

I understand, I also have an SU16 which is chambered in 5.56. The SU16 doesn’t like the Silver Bear as far accuracy goes. I will not be buying Silver Bear going forward, that said the SU16 does well for me with other 223 such as PMC

my saiga loves 5.56

If you like muzzle flash try out some m855 ;) ask me how I know :D

I've shot all kinds of 223 and 5.56 from my Saiga with no issues other than carying degrees of accuracy.

Thanks for the reply back guys, I wasn't sure how popular the 223 was here but glad to see a others have the 223 as well. I really like this little carbine. Next time out I take some M855, I may even have some M193 left to try as well.