Medic3166

Starting Competitive Shooting

So I decided I want to get into competitive shooting. Out of all of the different leagues, which has more frequent matches in NJ? I was thinking about joining the GSSF, to compete in both indoor and outdoor matches. Has anyone ever shot at the Shore Shot GSSF matches? I was looking at signing up for the CJRPC Outdoor match too.

Another reason to sign up would be to take the Armorer's class coming up soon.

Shore Shot does the fun shoot on Monday nights, which is a great way to get introduced to action pistol events. IMO the Fun Shoot and static steel would be the easiest ways to get into competitive shooting, but USPSA and IDPA are the most fun. So long as you're comfortable with your gun and holster, I'd recommend jumping straight into one of those two.

Read read read.

GSSF only has a few matches in nj a year.

realistically, ask yourself, what do you want to do....

Do you want to shoot paper from a port for accuracy? GSSF, Bullseye

Do you want to practice practical defensive stuff? IDPA

Do you want to hear the clinks? Steel (both knockdown, and static)

Do you just want to have a ton of fun running and gunning? USPSA

Which ever you decide, remember that you're there to have fun and be safe. Don't be too hard on yourself by expecting to win. Lots of different activities, even things such as black powder pistol shooting at some of the local clubs.

As Jon stated, practice (unloaded) good holster discipline to get ready to compete in an event/venue that requires them. When you're comfortable walking-around the house with your sidearm then you're ready to wear it at a match. Follow the range rules, the game rules and you'll be fine. Ask when you can touch your gun, and don't touch it once it's holstered until told to do so by a Range Officer (don't want to DQ yourself prior to firing your first shot).

Have fun!

Sheer number of matches per month? Depending on your location it is likely steel or USPSA.

Also, it's not like you have to pick just one. If you shop smart, you can get gear that is decent for USPSA, steel, IDPA, and probably a few others that don't have a lot of matches. Shop really mart smart, and not only can you have something that can shoot fairly competitively in some division in most every pistol discipline offered in NJ (except bullseye, rimfire, and black powder stuff), you can get it done for less than $800 total.

You can basically shoot a match every Saturday and Sunday without leaving the state.

GSSF is fun, but there's only a couple matches a year. Indoor at Shore Shot that's if they do it again.

And possibly again at CJRPC. I could be wrong, there may be more planned. But that's how it was

last year.

Steel is great cause it's frequent enough between CJRPC, OBRPC, and Tenafly and you don't have

to join any league/be a member of an organization. Probably the easiest discipline to learn as well.