Sign in to follow this  
Plinker

9mm AR type rifles...

I've seen some ads for AR style rifles that appear to be using 9mm ammunition. Anyone have experience with these? I'm curious if their performance is comparable to the regular AR's wrt range, accuracy, etc. The bullet geometry is significantly different then then the std AR's. Could they be used for hunting (in states that allow rifle hunting) deer, etc. effectively? I find it appealing that it could use 9mm ammo since it would reduce the types of ammo I would have buy (already have a 9mm pistol) plus I believe the prices are lower for the ammo...but if the performance is only marginally better then a pistols then it wouldn't cut it for me.

Some of the more experienced AR guys will definitely give you some good information here, but I'm pretty sure that 9mm carbines will probably be best for short distance work and CQB. After a certain distance the 9mm will lose power and the bullet will drop significantly... so if you want something that will reach long range, you'll want to go for a rifle caliber (5.56, .223, etc).

A 5.56 bullet is coming out of that barrel at 3100 Feet per second.

A 9mm bullet is coming out at maybe 1400 feet per second.

At 150 yards, that bullet is dropping about 18 inches.

At 200 yards, you are basically artillery and you are pointing that rifle at a 30 degree angle. I've shot out to 200 yards with a CX4 Storm - it wasn't easy but it can be done - not that I would want to - you basically have a 20% hit ratio, and that is with a target that is not moving or shooting back.

I think that the advantage of the 9mm AR platform is that the manual of arms is exactly the same as a 5.56. I could see why a police department may want to use 9mm for CQB work inside homes. If you figure that many police officers are former military, using a 9mm AR type gives you the exact same sight picture and manual of arms as the weapon that the majority of our military uses. So training time and cost would be reduced as opposed to using something like an MP-5, which very few soldiers outside of bodyguards and special operations have used.

Now you kind of get into the theory and reason behind Pistol Caliber Carbines (PCCs). What are they good for in general? Well, they are good because:

#1. They generally cost less than rifles.

#2. You can fire them at most indoor ranges that don't normally allow rifle.

#3. The ammunition is less expensive.

#4. In many cases the magazines of the PCC is the same magazine as your handgun.

You also have to remember that a PCC is not really a force multiplier (although the longer barrel helps with velocity), it is an accuracy multiplier. My CX4 is my wife's go-to weapon for self defense because she is too small for a shotgun and doesn't practice enough with handguns. But she can pick up a CX4 storm and consistently hit a paper plate at 7 yards. If she can do that, she can certainly hit a bad guy down a hallway.

Now that being said, unless you are dead set on getting a 9mm AR because you like the way it looks, or you are very familiar with the AR platform, I would consider looking at the CX4 Storm and Kel Tec Sub 2000 before you drop the money on a 9mm AR.

I have never been hunting, so I can't answer that question, but I don't think its a popular round for hunting and there are probably far more capable cartridges out there.

• Like 1

Interesting.... My initial interest was sparked by the fact that I could share ammo between the rife and pistols. Assuming I was in a state that was ok with hunting deer with rifles, is it the general consensus that I would have to be under 100 yards to be effective/ humane? I certainly would not want the animal to suffer.

At the moment I'm thinking 5.56 is the round I'll look at for building an AR when I do get around to it. Any reason not too?

If you want to hunt with an AR, then get an ar10 .308. Unless you have exceptional aim there is nothing humane about using a 9mm or .224 bullet to take down a deer. .224 is a varmint bullet, for small game, 9mm isn't even a hunting round.

If you hit a deer with a .224 or 9mm any other places then a kill shot, chances are it will run off and die very slowly.