Jaws

SJSC or CJRPC?

Really have to join a range again because I'm seriously itching to go shoot again. Problem is that I cannot seem to make up my mind where to go, SJSC or CJRPC.

CJRPC is a 50 minute drive for me, SJSC a 30 minute bit in all likelihood I will not be going more than once a month so it really does no matter all that much.

CJRPC seems to have the better range and has indoor 24 hr pistol. I'm not really sure what the pits are SJSC still has a nice range but no indoor pistol.

Steel, bottles etc are allowed at both, right?

CJRPC has that killer $400 start cost on top of membership fee, that's a real tough one but from the stories seems to be less crowded.

I mainly shoot my AR and pistol, although I just got a new to me bolt action that I'm dying to try.

So anyway this is where I get stuck, what say you? SJSC or CJRPC? Anything I forgot to make my decision any more difficult?

I've never been to SJ (would love to try it some time), but I am a member of Central Jersey. I have found that the only time it is crowded is on Sundays when activities are going on and certain ranges are taken over (steel matches, USPSA, cowboy action, etc), pushing non activity folks to the remaining ranges. I do like that there always seems to be a shotgun field open.

Like Chris I have never been to SJ but to me there are 2 clubs for me in NJ and OB and CJ are the 2 and if I lived close to CJ I would be a member of both, just OB for now.

On another note, pick what range you can see yourself actually going to, no fun paying for a club or range you don't visit. Also if you join CJ you might get into some of the matches there and find yourself at the range more than you initially thought.

All I can say, is compare the 2 and really think, what one fits you better..

What are your interests? One disqualifier for Old Bridge (even though they are 15 minutes closer than CJ) for me was that their rifle range is only 100 yards. I want to stretch my legs when I shoot rifle. 100 yards is almost a layup with most rifles (not bragging, just saying :)). Also, does South Jersey club own their own property. OB members please correct me if I am wrong, but OBRPC does not. They rent it. In an anti-gun state filled with wealthy liberals and real estate speculation, that lends enough uncertainty that it makes me think twice about it.

Thanks for the pointers. I would like a 300yrd and be able to bring guests, both qualify :) and some nice pistol bays. Apart from that I don't have that many wants. I would like it big enough to not have to wait due to crowds. Would be nice if training or matches were offered, never did either and it's something I might try.

When I joined you could pull a car out there and shoot it if you like as long as you cleaned up. Today god forbid your target holder is 3 inches to short! To add to that long range is one of the things I like and SJ is reportedly pushing out to 1000 yards.

Ok, yeah don't like that rigidness either.

Im seriously thinking of joing SJSC as well, I have never been there but have read a lot of good things about it. They do have training and match's there as well accorind to their web site. And there membership fee seems very reasonable. There is a meeting this Sunday for orientation, Im thinking about it. Good luck with your choice.

When I joined you could pull a car out there and shoot it if you like as long as you cleaned up. Today god forbid your target holder is 3 inches to short! To add to that long range is one of the things I like and SJ is reportedly pushing out to 1000 yards.

I haven't had any issues with any target holders we use/make. I was shooting last Monday there and one the directors came over and chatted with us. We had high targets, steel @ 200 yards less than 2' from the ground, some junk up on the back berm (in fairness these dudes were old so maybe they couldn't see that far ) a few weeks back I had a toaster out there and nobody said a word. We hang steel plates on Shepard hooks and they are like 4' high maybe?

Apparently the power company guys complained about ricochets again, and this time Homeland Security had to come out. They want all target holders to be 6' high, however the 200/300 yard ones don't have to be because its close enough to the berm.

I agree they are a big particular about certain things, but if it keeps the club open, so be it I guess..

I shot at the SJ range last summer and it was pretty nice, wish it was closer..

Jsmit, your welcome to come to CJ with me when you have time. (You too Shane!)

I haven't had any issues with any target holders we use/make. I was shooting last Monday there and one the directors came over and chatted with us. We had high targets, steel @ 200 yards less than 2' from the ground, some junk up on the back berm (in fairness these dudes were old so maybe they couldn't see that far ) a few weeks back I had a toaster out there and nobody said a word. We hang steel plates on Shepard hooks and they are like 4' high maybe?

Apparently the power company guys complained about ricochets again, and this time Homeland Security had to come out. They want all target holders to be 6' high, however the 200/300 yard ones don't have to be because its close enough to the berm.

I agree they are a big particular about certain things, but if it keeps the club open, so be it I guess..

I shot at the SJ range last summer and it was pretty nice, wish it was closer..

Jsmit, your welcome to come to CJ with me when you have time. (You too Shane!)

Thanks, appreciated. I will take you up on that :)