Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

1976 Gun Confiscation - Foundation of the Anti Gun Lobby

Back in 1976, there was a ballot inititative in Mass. for a state wide gun confiscation, which if passed, would have laid the foundation for a national push for confiscation.

But whats interesting, is that this confiscation was billed as a 'buyback', and like Paula Dow's view of 'buybacks', Ted Kennedy and the League of Women Voters held the opinion that 'this [was not] designed to get the guns away from the criminals. That's not the real point.', and that 'we won't keep guns out of criminals hands'.

Interesting read, and after doing so, you learn where the foundation of today's anti gun blobby gets it's ideas from. Especially with trying to say that gun owners are anti LEO safety at every chance.

http://viewer.zmags....a7#/70a958a7/61

Excellent article on the history of gun control (and almost confiscation) in Mass. It is important to know the history on what was attempted back then in hopes of preventing such things in the future. I know that Mass adopted NJ's FID system somewhere around 1970, somewhere along the way Illinois (possibly) adopted it in 1968 or 1970. As you know I been studying gun control for awhile and this article fills in some important information that really wasn't readily out there. In 1998 Mass turned its 'lifetime' FID card into one that had to be renewed every four years (five years another article stated).

I will add that Arthur Sills in the hearings in 1966 for New Jersey's FID law in 1966 used such terms as 'reasonable' when trying to have the FID law passed. I could almost swear that some of the anti gun quotes used today could be attributed directly to Sills himself...in 1966.

Illinois was the first state to have cities (such as Morton Grove) have handgun bans. I believe it was HCI (Handgun Control Inc) that was behind the Illinois move of handgun bans in hopes of it happening throughout the U.S. Except a year later, Kennesaw Georgia adopted a law that required residents to have a firearm and countered HCI and its minions from pushing forth more asinine ideas like "Morton Grove".

New Jersey is not alone with a system that requires the 'Identification Card' for firearms. In addition to Mass and Illinois, Hawaii and Puerto Rico requires one was well. There are other states with variations on permits/cards to purchase pistols, such as North Carolina and Michigan (although you can ccw in those states) and of course NY State with its famous 'Sullivan Law'. Again, thanks for the interesting read!

I could almost swear that some of the anti gun quotes used today could be attributed directly to Sills himself...in 1966.

Dollars to donuts they do!! I remember when everybody was awaiting the Heller, I read various gun grabber blatherings that based their nonsense on the shit Sills slung back then.

Dollars to donuts they do!! I remember when everybody was awaiting the Heller, I read various gun grabber blatherings that based their nonsense on the shit Sills slung back then.

The minutes from the hearing on the FID proposal in 1966 should be required reading for all on how the other side spewed out figures and statements without backing them up while pushing the legislation. Reading the crap that Sills spilled looks like it came right out of HCI and the Brady Bunch. Sills even used the analogy that people in certain professions get fingerprinted and actually used that as justification for the fingerprint proposal part of the bill. What happened to Sills later on? I guess it caught up with him, he died of a stroke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_J._Sills

The opposition to the 1966 bill was even more interesting as one gentleman made comparisons to gun registration and the resulting confiscation tactics that dictators used such as in Nazi Germany.

This is why we need to study the tactics that the other side uses, they play on emotion and not true facts. I was reading the Brady Rating for Kentucky..(my State). And they claimed that there are no background checks done in Kentucky to buy a gun. What a blatant out right lie. There is no way I can go to my local gun store and buy a firearm without a background check. What are they smoking? In addition those that do have carry permits, permit holders are automatically checked out MONTHLY on NICS by the KY State Police.

This is why we need to study the tactics that the other side uses, they play on emotion and not true facts. I was reading the Brady Rating for Kentucky..(my State). And they claimed that there are no background checks done in Kentucky to buy a gun. What a blatant out right lie. There is no way I can go to my local gun store and buy a firearm without a background check. What are they smoking? In addition those that do have carry permits, permit holders are automatically checked out MONTHLY on NICS by the KY State Police.

Mid,

They pick a fact (I believe you can buy face to face in KY without a background check - hey you can in NJ...) and they extrapolate and exaggerate it until it resembles their argument. It's a tactic. What bothers me is that the NRA is supposed to be fighting for us and I don't hear pro-gun talking points that we can use to deflate the anti-gun talking points coming from anyone except the grassroots organizations who are often far less inclined to be "politically correct". We need reasoned short arguments and we need reasonable vocabulary to turn around the arguments.

re: vocabulary

they say / we say

high capacity magazines / standard magazines

assualt weapons / (yeah need help here)

cop killer bullets / criminal deterring bullets

etc

Mid,

They pick a fact (I believe you can buy face to face in KY without a background check - hey you can in NJ...) and they extrapolate and exaggerate it until it resembles their argument. It's a tactic. What bothers me is that the NRA is supposed to be fighting for us and I don't hear pro-gun talking points that we can use to deflate the anti-gun talking points coming from anyone except the grassroots organizations who are often far less inclined to be "politically correct". We need reasoned short arguments and we need reasonable vocabulary to turn around the arguments.

re: vocabulary

they say / we say

high capacity magazines / standard magazines

assualt weapons / (yeah need help here)

cop killer bullets / criminal deterring bullets

etc

How about this....

assault weapons/patrol rifle

assault weapons/freedom rifle

assault weapons/liberty gun

assault weapons/revolutionary flintlock

cop killer bullets/cop carried bullets

cop killer bullets/police issue bullets

cop killer bullets/citizen defense bulelts

cop killer bullets/victim protection bullets

How about this....

assault weapons/patrol rifle

assault weapons/freedom rifle

assault weapons/liberty gun

assault weapons/revolutionary flintlock

cop killer bullets/cop carried bullets

cop killer bullets/police issue bullets

cop killer bullets/citizen defense bulelts

cop killer bullets/victim protection bullets

Send that to the Star Ledger. I bet the editor will put it out in a memo.