Sandy

Mini 14 questions

I tried reading the laws posted here , but it is confusing to me :/

I love my mini 14 , but it is a tad too long for me. I want a shorter stock . I know it is banned with folding/adjustable stock , but can I have the stock shipped to a gunsmith and have it NJ legal? Or is there another adjustable stock that can be made nj legal ? Or , does making it short enough for me make it illegal even if pinned , because then it would be too short period?? And it seems all the stocks come with a pistol grip ..I have a flash hider on it so a pistol grip would be a no no . Can I take the flash hider off?? Or do I still have to change out the barrel since it will be threaded ?? Sorry for all the questions , it is very confusing .

I guess it is ok for a 6 foot tall dude to shoot that gun , but if it gets mods so a 4 '11 woman can shoot it comfortably everyone's then in danger :/

There are pics of it in this thread

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31788-just-picked-up-a/

Anyone WTT a build for it ? lol only half kidding. I like the .223 caliber , and the gun is beautiful ..nice tiger strip wood , stainless barrel , I shoot it well it just takes me some time to shoulder it up and site it ..it is just a bit too long for me.

Legally...

You can unscrew the flash hider and attach a muzzle break, then pin the muzzle break so it is on there permanently. Then, buy yourself a new stock. Once you get the stock, before you install it, pin the stock at your desired length. Finally, install the stock.

I have to have all that sent to a gunsmith though , right? Willing to do that for sure. They have a bullpup stock for it..hmmm

In my opinion, until the stock is actually installed on the rifle, you can do whatever you want with it in your home.

So it is not like a high capacity mag then , which they won't even ship to NJ ? And if I get a bullpup stock , can I still have a muzzle break pinned on?

It would all go to a gunsmith anyway , since I need to do something about the flash hider no matter what stock I pick , because of the pistol grip. I think lol

Thanks for your help. :)

Uh , just looked at a mini 14 muzzle brake. It looks just like what I thought was a flash hider on my gun gun. Can someone tell from the pics in the link I supplied in the first post? Just looked again , they look so similar..I guess I don't know what is on my gun . If I cropped into it for a bigger pic , would anyone here be able to tell?

Cut a couple inches off the original wooden stock. You can look around and find cheap wooden ones someone has taken off and wants to get rid of to cut down if you don't want to mess with the original. My daughter had the same problem.

Looks like you have a flash hider on there. The generally accepted rule is if you can stick your pinky in the end of the muzzle device(make sure the gun is unloaded!) then it is a flash hider, and not a muzzle break.

Cut a couple inches off the original wooden stock. You can look around and find cheap wooden ones someone has taken off and wants to get rid of to cut down if you don't want to mess with the original. My daughter had the same problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

The wood in your stock is beautiful - leave it unmolested. Find a take-off original wooden stock (I'd check classifieds in free states, like PA where people will have changed out to folders - or post a WTB ad yourself - PAFOA forums would be a great place to start). Get the take-off stock and cut it down to the proper size. If you look on You Tube I think Larry Potterfield (Midway) has a video about installing a recoil pad - procedure is the same, just cut the stock to the desired length.

From the looks of the pics, your flash hider slips on, rather than screws on.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I am really liking the bullpup stock. That , with a muzzle brake pinned ( which I may already have , I'll have someone look at it for me) would be NJ legal?

Scroll down to see the bullpup stock

http://www.gunaccess...i1430/index.asp

Or the Ultimate Stock and Aluminum upgrade package..which the contents won;t paste and display here for some reason.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

The wood in your stock is beautiful - leave it unmolested. Find a take-off original wooden stock (I'd check classifieds in free states, like PA where people will have changed out to folders - or post a WTB ad yourself - PAFOA forums would be a great place to start). Get the take-off stock and cut it down to the proper size. If you look on You Tube I think Larry Potterfield (Midway) has a video about installing a recoil pad - procedure is the same, just cut the stock to the desired length.

From the looks of the pics, your flash hider slips on, rather than screws on.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob! Yeah , I will not be doing anything to that stock , it will be put away . It is a really nice stock :) It really is just a teeny bit too long. You have seen my trigger reach problems , so you know what I mean. We're talking an inch here.

Looks like you have a flash hider on there. The generally accepted rule is if you can stick your pinky in the end of the muzzle device(make sure the gun is unloaded!) then it is a flash hider, and not a muzzle break.

Ok , yes then it is a flash hider. How do you get it off if it is a slide on? And will that mess up the sights when I put it back on? Yeah , I'm gunsmithing this one , best to do it that way.

The bullpup stock may not be the answer. Probably will not solve your problem. While it makes the OAL of the gun shorter - it may not change the LOP (length of pull - distance from the butt to the trigger) at all. And now that you are at 26.5" (.6" from illegal) you have no room to shorten the LOP - even if you could (possible mag interference).

Looked at some pictures of the mini-14 flash hider. Looks like it slips on and is cross-pinned behind the front sight.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Putting a mini 14 in a bullpup stock is like tying your son to a tree in the front yard wearing a dress because he didn't clean his room. It's just wrong.

Is that bad too? Should I skip the dress part ? lol I have never seen a stock like that , what would one use it for properly? Just curious :) It probably would not solve my issue anyway as Bob pointed out.

I'm leaning towards the package I posted about , The ultimate stock and aluminum upgrade package. If it all checks out. I'll bring it all to a gunsmith since I am pretty newb .

Or the strikeforce package at the bottom.

The only nagging thought I have is this - if it is banned by name with the folding stock , and you have the folding stocked modified so it no longer folds , is is STILL a banned rifle by name? If so I would get an adjustable that does not fold. And have it pinned.

I am really liking the bullpup stock. That , with a muzzle brake pinned ( which I may already have , I'll have someone look at it for me) would be NJ legal?

Scroll down to see the bullpup stock

http://www.gunaccess...i1430/index.asp

Or the Ultimate Stock and Aluminum upgrade package..which the contents won;t paste and display here for some reason.

I've never heard anyone who actually liked the Muzzleite stock once they had it..IMO you'd be better off with another standard stock, cut down to the correct Length of Pull for you.

After thinking about this some more, I think you should find an experienced carpenter to cut down your existing stock. The stock looks fantastic, and since the gun is yours(and may get passed on to your children, considering the sentimental value), why get some ratty looking stock cut down, or put some stupid tacticool crap on it? As far as determining the appropriate LOP for you, I would get together with someone who has a pump-action shotgun with an adjustable stock and determine what length feels good, then measure.

The original stock is so nice too..I need like an inch off of it. I would actually sell the rifle , but it has a small amount of sentimental value to it. Small , sentimental value. Small.

Kpd - bagpiper?

Once upon a time..when my lungs still functioned. Like I said....Mini stocks are out there, buy another stock, get it cut down correctly, and fitted with a nice recoil pad, you'll be a LOT happier than with the Muzzlelite POS, and it'll cost you a lot less in the long run.

find your self a wood stock , send it to me i will cut it to the size you want and re finish it for you free .

Dont cut that stock !!

Thanks! I really appreciate it , but I will insist on compensating you. That is super nice of you :) PM your address and I'll ship you a stock. I'll buy one on amazon . Can the black ones be cut down?

Once upon a time..when my lungs still functioned. Like I said....Mini stocks are out there, buy another stock, get it cut down correctly, and fitted with a nice recoil pad, you'll be a LOT happier than with the Muzzlelite POS, and it'll cost you a lot less in the long run.

Ah , the pipers. I grew up in Kearny :)