DTtuner

Military-Grade Optic for $300-400 ?

I really really liked the Burris MTAC @ SHOT. I will be using one on my run n gun AR.

After much research, debate, and consideration I have decided to purchase the brand-new Burris MTAC 1.5-6x Ballistic CQ scope.

Thank you for the suggestion. Your post led me in the direction, and I found the 1.5-6x to best fit my needs.

It's not found anywhere, but a call to Burris revealed that the scope uses a CR2032 battery, and should provide a "Constant-On" battery life of 5000+ hours, with a shelf life of 5 years.

Also apparently has an auto-shutoff after 2 hours.

None of this can be found online for whatever reason. Hope it's true.

Why? The 14oz. weight, High reviews (mostly about the 1-4x), 42mm eye relief, 1.5-6x magnification versatility, and the "ballistic cq" 5.56 illuminated reticle, among other specs.

Will post a quick review after I take her to the range.

Price - $374.92 shipped to my door.

Maybe it's not "door breaching" rugged, but close enough.

EDIT: Oh and she'll be mounted to a Burris PEPR QD mount ;)

• Like 1

Been reading some more and I see that both the Burris Fullfield, and older 1-4x MTAC have a better y life of approx. 200 hours on full illumination.

Perhaps the 5000 hours stated by the Burris tech was stretching it a bit...

Still, 200 hours on full power is not bad, given I will most likely only be using 40-60% illumination.

my bet is that you will find that the illum is not daylight usable. In other words you may be able to faintly see it in broad daylight, but it wont bu usable like an aimpoint. This is a dealbreaker for some and a non issue for others.

Shane

From the reviews I have read, users describe the illumination as "nuclear."

lol

So hopefully this won't be an issue.

I'll report back with my findings.

my bet is that you will find that the illum is not daylight usable. In other words you may be able to faintly see it in broad daylight, but it wont bu usable like an aimpoint. This is a dealbreaker for some and a non issue for others.

Shane

Shane, what have you heard in regards to durability of the burris MTAC optics?

From the reviews I have read, users describe the illumination as "nuclear."

lol

So hopefully this won't be an issue.

I'll report back with my findings.

I have read mixed reviews on if it's daylight usable. Some say it is and some say it isn't. Maybe some are brighter than others? I don't think it has zero stops, but I believe it's more for quick target acquisition than precision shooting.Let us know how it works out and a pic would be excellent.

Sorry for the delay in posting a pic ya'll.

I really liked my Burris MTAC 1.5-6x, but realized it was a bit large and bulky.

In fact it didn't really fit on the bullpup rifle for which it was intended, without removing the front Iron sight!

Anyway, I sent it back to the vendor (before it was mounted or fired) and am exchanging it for the Burris MTAC 1-4x.

SHANE - There is a discussing on AR15 in regards to the Burris MTAC brightness (or lack of), however it seems that this individuals unit may be faulty.

Here is a link to a discussion on another thread where that same individual references the AR15.com discussion, and where all other owners of the MTAC unanimously state that the MTAC reticle is very bright in daylight:

http://www.brianenos...ic=133336&st=25

Hope that link is okay with the mods.

Once received, I will post a pic of the reticle during my next range trip.

Interesting. Thanks for the update. What was the brightness if the unit you recieved or did you not put the battery in it?

I did throw a batter y in there, but only looked through the sight indoors.

Not exactly a fair evaluation, but at full brightness I couldn't make-out the outline of the reticle, it was so bright and "fuzzy."