Sign in to follow this  
Scott204

Need Help Identifying a Revovler PICS ADDED

I recently aquired a Colt revolver from my father in law as a christmas gift. The problem I am having is trying to correctly identify the darn thing. I will post pictures later when I get home but maybe someone may know something by the follwoing description. It is a Colt Officer's Special 38, that is listed on the barrel. It is a six inch barrel that has a rib on top which states Colt King. It is a heavy barrely which tappers towards the end. Its blued and has a wide spur hammer. It also has Target Walnut grips on it. Unknown if they are original but they appear to be. My problem is that the serial number is 606XXX which makes it a 1949-1950 model(according to proofhouse.com) but it doesn't appear to be that old. When I look at the descriptions in my Blue Book (2011 edition) the description that fits best is a fifth generation which wasn't made till the 60's and 70's. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

noserial.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0655.jpg

Not a Colt guy but I'd venture a WAG. This is a revolver that was built for the centerfire stage of bullseye competition. I believe the "King" refers to the rib which is part of the sighting system. King gun sights were/are much revered. Or, it may have been the whole gun was built by King's Gun Works out of CA - founded in 1949. The bull barrel also does not sound stock, but something that would be done to a target pistol.

This is all supposition and may 180 degrees out from what it really is - one thing we can all agree on is that pictures (many) would be a huge help.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think that Bob hit the nail on the head. Definately the Target Model! Should shoot really well! Good luck with her! I also think that this gun could be the precursor to the mighty Python, designed a few years later. That shiny Colt Blue is a pleasure to adore! Thanks for posting the photos!

As Ray Ray would say: Winning!

Stock barrel - Kings Gun Sights add-on rib. Bullseye centerfire gun, from when revolvers ruled the bullseye game. Nice gun.

So with the serial number where it is does it make it a 1949 or 1950 gun?? and if you know value??

So with the serial number where it is does it make it a 1949 or 1950 gun?? and if you know value??

Have no idea of value or time frame. However, late 40's early 50's would be consistent with a revolver set-up for bullseye. By the 60's, semi-autos were pretty well entrenced in that game. Grips are probably aftermarket also.

Interesting conundrum - usually modified guns are valued less than their unmolested counterparts. Not sure if that would be the case in this instance. A collector whose niche included old bullseye guns might actually pay a premium for it - but there probably aren't many of those. My advice is for you to keep it, shoot it and enjoy it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob