Sign in to follow this  
autoxnyc

Real Estate Transaction information are public - safety concerns

I understand real estate transactions are public information. But for the most part buyer/seller names are not publicly listed on any websites. Zillow and other real estate sites list price/address information but does not disclose name of either party.

We recently ran into a situation where someone was able to find out our addressed based on our names because all of above info were listed on certain website. We were being harassed and threatened by that individual.

Even if it's public info, if it's at the town hall, someone can't just google my name and find out my address because that information is not on the web. My question is do I have the right to ask them to take down that info? I do not mind them posting the address and price but it becomes a potential danger when our names are associated with that info.

Public Real Estate transactions should be the least of your worries... try this on for size! Go ahead and put your address in, then go enter a neighbors address, chances are, you'll be there, for everyone to see.

http://neighbors.whitepages.com/

Yes you can find out someone's address from this site. But you'll have to know about this site which is not readily available for someone who does not know about it. By posting the sale and the buyer/seller's name on a site it was able to be picked up by search engines like google. So someone who knows my name and my wife's name can just google our names and it just shows up.

with regard to whitepages.com. You can remove yourself from it, the link is right on the bottom. I've done that a long time ago. They had a really old address of mine there so it wasn't really doing me any harm. I do not even show up on pipl.com. I know I can't avoid having public information accessed by others, but posting all sales with the owner's name and address on a site is a bit too much I think.

http://www.app.com/s...TA/DataUniverse

With data universe all you would have to do is input minimal info and you can acquire either a persons address through their name or vice versa, and in this instance I dont think you have the ability to do so.

Public Real Estate transactions should be the least of your worries... try this on for size! Go ahead and put your address in, then go enter a neighbors address, chances are, you'll be there, for everyone to see.

http://neighbors.whitepages.com/

I dunno what is creepier, the fact that it shows my house or the fact that I can view 4 different angles of my house. That picture is beyond old though, My '98 Mustang is sitting in my driveway, I sold that car 6 years ago.