Sign in to follow this  
H.M. Murdock

Yugo m70 build from parts kit

I recently purchased a M70B1 (fixed stock) parts kit with trunion dated 1982.

I want to send it to a professional builder to have it built with the following parts:

- NoDak Spud NDS-5 receiver

- US-made fire control set, gas piston, and slant brake (922r compliance)

And with the following additions:

- Welded and pinned muzzle brake

- Bayonet lug removed

- Remove any front sight cant

- Metal cleaned up / restored (possibly)

My goal is to have a NJ compliant M70 that shoots well and retains the "Yugo" look. Am I on the right track here?

Can anyone recommend a builder anywhere in the US that would do well at this job? (and doesn't have a waiting list more than a year long)

Thanks in advance,

Jon

I tried Rifle Dynamics but the waiting list was over 12 months. I had mentioned that I'd like the rifle built to original look and they reminded me that their business is building fighting rifles. I think I will be sending them another Yugo kit for that service but first I'll get this one sorted.

So I ended up going with Global Military Gunsmithing in MI. A forum member recommended I visit a AK specific forum where I found good reviews for this guy. I should have the rifle back in 2 months or so

I went with a NoDak Spud NDS-5 receiver with Yugo selector markings, a NoDak Spud NDS-29 fire control set (Arsenal), and US made slant muzzle brake and gas piston from APEX. I bought 4 30-round pre-ban magazines which I sent directly to NYS. 2 will stay in NYS for shooting upstate and 2 will be brought down here after being permanently modified so that the follower travel is blocked at 15 rounds.

Photo of the parts kit as imported:

M70B1_parts_kit_20120419.jpg

Good to know, thanks Tony

Update: I ordered a Saiga 5.56 to convert and shoot in the meantime. I chose the 5.56 / .223 because that cartridge may be easier to find in times of uncertainty and I already have the Yugo in proper 7.62 chambering. I don't have an AR so this will be my first rifle in .223. The rifle arrives tomorrow and I will be following Vlad's instructions to convert it back. I'm going to start with the red Timberwood furniture and then change to a more subtle wood when I get tired of it. I'm ordering the conversion hardware from CSS although they're out of stock of the gas tube at the moment.

The M70B1 came back from the builder today and it looks pretty good.

All work on the list above was done with the exception of refinishing (bluing) the metals. One day I will restore the furniture and at that time the whole rifle will get cleaned up and blued.

Additionally the old night sights were cleared out so I can insert some new tritium (DIY)

Bolt is a little sticky at the halfway point when the gas piston enters the tube. I expect it will work itself out after a good degreasing/cleaning, lubrication and cycling session

Will be overseas for a while (near Zastava and Karlovac no less) so I won't be able to test fire for a few weeks -- but I can't wait!

Looks great! I have been considering a M70AB1 parts kit for a while now...Seems like your builder did a quality do for you...

I have a M70AB2T on its way... Underfolder will be pinned. Play with that for a while, turn into a BFPU rifle.

Looks awesome! I have a couple of WASR 10's that do the same thing with the bolt carrier. It "sticks" slightly when the bolt carrier rides over the hammer. I think they all do this to some degree. I though about refinishing my WASR, but I kind of like the original look. It's a shooter.

Superbee - please post some pics and range report when you get it.