Sign in to follow this  
Teufelhunden

Question About Shotgun Reloading

I have been reloading a variety or rifle and pistol rounds for years but I don't have much experience with shotgun reloading other than a cheap Lee reloader that I use for target rounds.

Anyway, I was reloading 2 3/4 inch Winchester AA Light Target rounds when I noticed there were 3 inch Trap hulls mixed in with mine. I must have picked them up when I picked mine up at the range. Other than the printing on the side I don't see a difference between these 3 in. hulls and my 2 3/4 in. hulls. They even look like they are the same size. Is there an actual difference? Would it be safe to load these with my rounds (in case some got by me)?

My initial guess would be that they are safe. But, I have to preface this advice with a warning. I do not reload, but have read "The ABC's of Reloading" because I wanted to reload shotgun.

As an engineer, my thought is this:

Originally, shotgun shells were made of paper and cardboard. I don't see how the tolerances of modern plastic would be any different. So I would say that it is safe.

Those are all 2 3/4" hulls, so what you're referring to is the old black powder equivilent powder charge rating, measured in DRAMS. A light target load is generally 2 3/4 Drams in 12 ga., and they increase in 1/4 Dram equivilents: 3 Drams, 3 1/4 Drams (Handicap Loads for Trap behind the 16 yard line), and then you get into the "high brass" hulls going into Buckshot and Slug loads where you'll see "Max Dram" Equivilents. Three inch 12 ga. hulls are usually always high brass Magnum loads with 4 Drams or better, and they will give you a ride!

Although most standard length hulls can be re-loaded, some like it better than others, and AA's are well known to last for several reloadings. Mixing several different hull manufacturers into a reloading press isn't a good idea, as crimping problems arise.

Hope this helps.

Dave