grumpy3132

Semi - Auto

Pricey ?? I can't take it with me , under 3k ? over ?

M1As run about $1,000-$1600 from what I've seen. Usually the ones I've looked at are about $1400. M1garands are usually abou $600-$800. I mean, it depends on what you like. Garands fire the .30-06, M1As fire the .308, not too sure what the difference in cost between the two rounds is. If you prefer magazine fed weapons, then the M1A is good for that.

And of course, you could always buy both, and give me the one you don't want! :lol:

I guess I am going shopping , let me know if know anyone that has a national or super match for sale , thank you for all the replys !

No problem. I don't think Woodbridge is near me, otherwise if you got an M1A I'd ask you let me shoot it. I absolutely love them.

If you were near here, I know Bob's little sportshop has them, and you can always check out gunbroker if you don't mind having it shipped to an FFL. I think you can find them in quite a few places.

If you chose to go for a Garand, I think USNMars on the forum is planning on a CMP trip at some point. talk to him, might save you a little cash to carpool to the CMP place, though admittedly I don't know much about the CMP.

Another option is one of the LaRue 7.62x51 rifles. A 16" PretatAR is next on my list.

http://www.laruetact...com/predatar762

predatar762profile.jpg

For what it's worth, the M14/M1A is easily outclassed by the AR system. A decent M1A will do what you want, but an AR will be far more consistant than a M14/M1A. Just look at what rifles are used at Camp Perry. Very few folks cling to the M14/M1A anymore.

If you've really got the bug, call or e-mail this guy and have him build you a sub-moa M1 or M1A...

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/major.htm

Always willing to help spend other peoples money :icon_mrgreen:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Will a M1A group under 5 inches at 300 yards ? or are there better choices for a semi - auto ? Looking to buy one, I already have a 22-250 bolt that will do this . Thanks !

Yes. Most shooters with a rifle tuned with proper loads can achieve MOA accuracy. A scope would probably make your life easier @ 300 yds. I suspect there are other choices depending on the style of rifle you prefer, but the M1A is certainly fun and a bit nostalgic. The M1 Garand is certainly a good choice as well. The CMP is selling Garand's chambered in .308 (RM1308SPECIAL) if you want something different than the original .30-06.

http://www.thecmp.or...es/m1garand.htm

For what it's worth, the M14/M1A is easily outclassed by the AR system. A decent M1A will do what you want, but an AR will be far more consistant than a M14/M1A. Just look at what rifles are used at Camp Perry. Very few folks cling to the M14/M1A anymore.

Have you been to Perry? I have multiple times and can say M1A's dominate. AR platforms are actually a somewhat rare sight.

Have you been to Perry? I have multiple times and can say M1A's dominate. AR platforms are actually a somewhat rare sight.

Probably depends on what range someone wants to shoot. I would imagine the further out you go, the more accurate the M1A is compared to an AR platform, due to weight of the bullet, amount of powder behind it, etc. Assuming optics and the shooter's capabilities are the same, I would assume the M1A would be more accurate at 300 yards. There's a reason they adopted the M21 as a sniper platform, and AR sniper platforms are relatively new.

Ru confusing / comparing a 308 m1a with a 223 ar....

I forgot that there are .308 ARs. My bad, overlooked that when responding. WELL I suppose if one looks at it the way I was, I was still right XD.

I had a big, long response typed out, then I clicked on the wrong thing and lost it all....

I'll just say that the AR system won last year's Camp Perry Service Rifle competition. That has been that case for the past few years. The transition to the M16/AR began in the 1990's.

The NRA has a seperate class for the M1A. Maybe that's why they are still around.

The top M1A shooter placed 13th in SR. The #2 M1A shooter placed 12th in SR. Maybe that's a clue to what has been going on?

There are 4 rifles that now qualify for NRA SR - the M1, M14/M1A, M16/AR and now the M110, which is a 7.62 AR. I'd wager that the M110 will eventually come to dominate SR - if it doesn't already.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Springfield Super Match and I doubt I'll ever sell it. However, the AR system has many advantages over it. I got into SR shooting briefly during the 1990's when the transition was happening. When I realized that I'd need to have a few M1A's in order to be competitive against the AR shooters I got kinda soured on the whole thing.

There are 4 rifles that now qualify for NRA SR - the M1, M14/M1A, M16/AR and now the M110, which is a 7.62 AR. I'd wager that the M110 will eventually come to dominate SR - if it doesn't already.

I was eyeballing NRA's rules for their long rifle stuff, and they do make mention of even older service rifles. Namely, the M1903 and M1917. Is it at all common to see these older bolt action battle rifles being used anymore, or have the semi-auto rifles completely taken over?

I was eyeballing NRA's rules for their long rifle stuff, and they do make mention of even older service rifles. Namely, the M1903 and M1917. Is it at all common to see these older bolt action battle rifles being used anymore, or have the semi-auto rifles completely taken over?

I think that if I were really into this stuff, and did it a lot, I'd try a 1903 at least once. It's interesting, to me at least, to see how the older designs stack up against more modern arms.