Sign in to follow this  
Adam

How to restore/clean up tips?

I've got my Stevens 410 stripped down to nothing. All the guts out, etc etc. What is are your tips ideas for cleaning this bad boy up and making it a killer looking (functional) wall hanger?? Any and all ideas appreciated.

Furniture for it is currently lent out to a friend that restores antique woods and he's trying to clean them up and match the stains. If he can't I'm probably going to purchase new wood and do them nicely. I'm not worried about retaining value (the gun is worth nothing) I'm not worried about the work I do being more then the value of the piece. I'm looking for a nice looking old school functional wallhanger to go over the door of the "Armory" as I've come to call it..

Also, if anyone knows anywhere or anyone that can do a synthetic stock/foreend for this shotgun I'd be thrilled to have that!

Everything for the frame is also Steel (assuming?) Trigger guard, Trigger, Locking mechanism etc

The Barrel is in similar condition to the frame.. also looking for ideas on that. Considering having the frame/barrel Duracoated but I dunno.. Need some ideas! StevensFrame.jpg100_4943.jpg100_4945.jpg

I like the tarnished look. If you want to restore steel u will need to remove the surface rusty with some type of cleaner. Then I would find a sealer of some sort. U can find a local chromer and they can strip it and nickel coat it, along with other types of coatings. May cost a few bucks.... But hey it will be done right. Make sure there is none in the internal areas it can cause fittment issues. Powder coating is another possibility for a custom look. Hope I added some insite

Thanks.

I considered taking it to have it hot tanked at a machine shop but wasn't sure if that would play any part in something going wrong.. I'll soak it in oil like the internals for now, and see if it will come off some..

Looking forward to more ideas and input!

http://www.alcaro.com/id16.html

These guys can coat items in these colors

NICKEL

SILVER

ELECTROLESS NICKEL

COPPER

ANODIZING

CHEM FILM (MIL C 5541)

TIN

GOLD

The receiver you can nickel coat, along with the barrel, would look nice with nice dark furniture.

for the rust/.patina sand paper and more sand paper,, starting with 150 grit then 200 the 300 then finaly 400 in a cross pattern, then degrease it and re blue it,, ive done a few guns like that,, actually working on another one as we speak,,,

Doyou hot or cold blue?

cold,,, i do it at home,, i'd like to set up for hot blue maybe eventualy.. the one im doing now will have the triger either nickel or gold plated, im gonna attempt that at home next (hope i didnt just throw money out the window ) lol

PM sent

I would use the finest steel wool (0000 I think) with oil and just rub all the steel. Appears more like a patina than rust. Its your gun, and opinions are like a--holes...but I would clean it up, not re-do it. Clean the wood, oil the wood. NOT refinish the wood. Then I would lightly rub oil and all metal parts with the fine steel wool, assemble and call it a day. It will keep its character this way. If you want a plastic duracoated thing to hang on the wall buy a cap gun at walmart and spray paint it. Dont destroy the patina...it took decades to get there

I would use the finest steel wool (0000 I think) with oil and just rub all the steel. Appears more like a patina than rust. Its your gun, and opinions are like a--holes...but I would clean it up, not re-do it. Clean the wood, oil the wood. NOT refinish the wood. Then I would lightly rub oil and all metal parts with the fine steel wool, assemble and call it a day. It will keep its character this way. If you want a plastic duracoated thing to hang on the wall buy a cap gun at walmart and spray paint it. Dont destroy the patina...it took decades to get there

Sadly (to some) I've decided to do just that. "Destroy" the patina. The gun holds a low value, isn't a collectors item and will no longer be a "wall hanger". I'm going to have it duracoated and turn it into a shooter that see's regular range time.

I've already got my eye on a nice wall hanger that will take it's place and is in a better "wall hanger looking" condition then this was..

I'll update the thread as I go, just to show what's being done.

Here is what I do to old shotguns.

Take an old pantyhose, you know the ones you hide in the back of your sweater drawer, and soak it in gun oil. Then using just a tiny dab of Flitz metal polisher and a touch of oil start rubbing rusted or patina areas lightly. dont use to much Flitz or rub too hard, it can take off the finish. You will be be pleasantly suprised how nice the old steel on that gun comes out.