So my friend is going to sell me his Sig 522. He is in NC so it's the non compliant version. What's the best way to get the gun in the state legally. I know it needs the stock pinned and the flash hider removed. Also are the 15 round mags he has legL fir NJ. Any ideas would be great. Thanx for the help.

If you can pin the stock and have the flash hider replaced with a brake (pinned and welded) prior to it making it into NJ then it is fine. If you cannot get the compliant work done outside of the state it must be shipped to an FFL that can do the work for you before you take possession of it.

It would probably save you the most aggravation to do it before outside of the state. If you cannot do it, bring it to a smith in NC to do the work and youre good to go. save you on a transfer fee.

*edit*

Mags also have to be 15 rnd permanently altered.

I believe that FTF out if state is not aloud. Your friend will need to have a FFL from NC send to FFL to NJ. Then you can take ownership.

You got the pinned stock correct. But also, if there is a flash hider, it needs to be removed and a muzzle break needs to be permantely pinned also.

I believe that FTF out if state is not aloud. Your friend will need to have a FFL from NC send to FFL to NJ. Then you can take ownership.

You got the pinned stock correct. But also, if there is a flash hider, it needs to be removed and a muzzle break needs to be permantely pinned also.

FTF out of state only pertains to handguns. You may purchase a long gun FTF out of state and return home with it (provided the long gun is NJ compliant)

FTF out of state only pertains to handguns. You may purchase a long gun FTF out of state and return home with it (provided the long gun is NJ compliant)

Long guns can only be purchased from a dealer. No FTF from a nonlicensee.

Negative - you can only purchase long guns out of state from a dealer, not FTF.

wow.. talk about a misunderstanding. Sorry to push the wrong info brother, and thanks for the clarification.

So what would be the best course of action to get it sold to him. Is there a means to sell through a third party without going through too much hassle?

So my friend is going to sell me his Sig 522. He is in NC so it's the non compliant version. What's the best way to get the gun in the state legally. I know it needs the stock pinned and the flash hider removed. Also are the 15 round mags he has legL fir NJ. Any ideas would be great. Thanx for the help.

to answer your question- the gun can be made compliant before coming to NJ or after. Must go thru FFL here either way. Talk to a FFL conveniant for you about doing the mods before shipping it in, not all FFLs work on guns some just sell. 15 rnd mags are ok in NJ.

to answer your question- the gun can be made compliant before coming to NJ or after. Must go thru FFL here either way. Talk to a FFL conveniant for you about doing the mods before shipping it in, not all FFLs work on guns some just sell. 15 rnd mags are ok in NJ.

This is a long gun, so it must be transferred through an FFL as the owner and the buyer are not residents of the same state. However it can be transferred through ANY FFL, not just an NJ FFL.

This is a long gun, so it must be transferred through an FFL as the owner and the buyer are not residents of the same state. However it can be transferred through ANY FFL, not just an NJ FFL.

True, however I was assuming the gun would be shipped to NJprior to mods not the OP going down to NC. I guess the gun can be made compliant in NC and have an FFL send it here too.

EDIT- let me re-phrase that. The long gun can be picked up in NC via FFl and brought back to NJ if it has been made NJ legal first. If its not compliant it must be shipped to a NJ FFL and made so before possession is taken.

One last thing: The gun does not have to be shipped by an FFL, only to an FFL. But you first want to make sure that the receiving FFL is OK with receiving from a non-FFL - it's a matter of choice, not law. If your receiving FFL is GTG, the seller can ship a long arm via the USPS. I have used Priority Mail insured, or you may want to go with return signature.

Adios,

PIzza Bob