SgtToadette

Questions about the FID process.

I think it's worth noting that Hopewell PD's website hasn't been updated in a while.

When I went in this is what I handed in:

• Two completed reference sheets. (.pdf warning)
  • STS-033. (.pdf warning) You can fill in the criteria on the .pdf itself and then print the page rather than print a blank and fill in with pen. Make sure that you have the reference information filled out on this form under question (29), despite the fact you're handing in the reference sheets separately. Also, since this is your initial application you can use the same, single form to specify how many Handgun permits you want. I got 3.
  • SP-066. (.pdf warning) Make sure this form has all your information filled out, but is not signed. That will be done in person at the Police Department.

After handing in these forms to the detective, they should give you a form regarding fingerprinting. The detective should explain to you in reasonable detail what it means, but in short, you will take the paper home and go to the website listed on the form. This website will request that you enter the PD's ID number. It was a bit confusing at first trying to figure out which number that was, but under the drop-down menu on the site it will list Hopewell Township next to that number. On the next page is where you schedule your appointment to be fingerprinted. I recommend selecting the location in Ewing. It's located inside the corporate building near the Liberty gas station. Here's a map:

r0CUv.jpg

The star indicates the approximate location of the office in the building. It is on the first floor and identified by a laminated sign posted in a window next to the door of the office. Both entrances to the building are identified by the red lines and have direct line of sight to each other through a hall way. If you enter the building from the side closest to the star, it will be around the first hallway on the right, straight ahead.

Make sure that you have the paper your police department handed you. If you do not have it they will turn you away and you will have to reschedule and appointment at your expense. Also make sure that you have an acceptable payment method for the exact amount, or if you payed online be sure to have that information.

When you enter the office there will be a log sheet on a clipboard. Enter your name and such on it, wait for them to call you, present the paperwork, and they'll walk you through the rest.

They will send the information off to the PD and no further action is required on your part. Within about 30 days from the time of fingerprinting you should receive a message from your PD notifying you of completion (it was 28 days in my case). Return to the PD and they will issue you your card. There is a $5 charge for the card and a $2 for each pistol purchase permit. Both of these fees can be payed with cash or certified check. They will also need to put your fingerprint on the back of the card.

I highly recommend that you get it laminated. I keep mine in my wallet and forgot I had it on my person when I went to the beach only to realize shortly after going in the water that my wallet (and thus my FID card) came with me. Fortunately it was laminated and suffered no damage. It only costs about 2 bucks at Staples (I went to the one on Rt. 1).

That's pretty much it. I have a post on the 8th page of the NJ FID application data collection effort with the basic details of my experience.

Hope this helped!

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I stopped by the HTPD on Tuesday evening to pick up their "packet" as I didn't think that the website was accurate (as someone pointed out on here before). The only form not on their website was the "yellow form" that I apparently won't need. I'm going to scan the instruction sheet and post it here after my process is complete. Hopefully I'll be able to get something and meet up with you and Bob sometime.

If you have any questions as you're going through the process I'm more than willing to help. Either post here or send me an PM. Once I get around to joining EFGA we could do a range day or schedule a meetup at Starbucks. I'm usually down for anything, I just require approximately 2 week notice so I can guarantee I won't have work.

I think it's worth noting that Hopewell PD's website hasn't been updated in a while.

Det. Zorn (nice guy!) took care of me. At the end of our time, I remarked that the site wasn't up-to-date and he replied that they had handed in the changes, but they've not been made yet.

I'll be printed next Tuesday. :keeporder:

I had to give a copy of the fingerprint receipt back with all the paperwork... did you have to give them a copy of that? AS there were some numbers on there for the State Police to reference..

1. went to PD received all paperwork.. Detective called in and filled in a special number on the paperwork right there on the spot.

2. Went online to SegoMorph made appointment with the numbers on the form.

3. Got fingerprinted and was given several copies of the receipt and told by Them to take a copy of the receipt and hand it in with my paperwork.

4. Took all completed paperwork(with reference numbers) back to PD with fingerprint Receipt

5. got a call 4 weeks later to pick up my PID (i also had to stamp my fingerprint on it) went to staples and got it laminated right away.

Went back and got handgun permit a few weeks later... that took another 5 weeks (made mistake and only applied for one) so next time i'll apply for two.

Det. Zorn (nice guy!) took care of me. At the end of our time, I remarked that the site wasn't up-to-date and he replied that they had handed in the changes, but they've not been made yet.

I'll be printed next Tuesday. :keeporder:

I've never directly dealt with Det. Zorn, but by all reports he's a stand-up guy. He drops in where I work on occasion and I'd say there's usually 3 or 4 people who say hello.

I had to give a copy of the fingerprint receipt back with all the paperwork... did you have to give them a copy of that? AS there were some numbers on there for the State Police to reference..

1. went to PD received all paperwork.. Detective called in and filled in a special number on the paperwork right there on the spot.

2. Went online to SegoMorph made appointment with the numbers on the form.

3. Got fingerprinted and was given several copies of the receipt and told by Them to take a copy of the receipt and hand it in with my paperwork.

4. Took all completed paperwork(with reference numbers) back to PD with fingerprint Receipt

5. got a call 4 weeks later to pick up my PID (i also had to stamp my fingerprint on it) went to staples and got it laminated right away.

Went back and got handgun permit a few weeks later... that took another 5 weeks (made mistake and only applied for one) so next time i'll apply for two.

I never had to hand in the receipt for the fingerprinting. In fact I'm pretty sure I have it laying around the house somewhere. I was never informed by the people who fingerprinted me about anything regarding handing in the receipt to my PD. It's the inconsistency throughout the state that I think angers a lot of forum-goers the most, and I agree.

I haven't been printed yet. That's this coming Tuesday. I'm pretty sure he retained my application, mental health form and two references (originals). (I should have scanned / copied them...) Oh, and I think (because he went back into the office while I was in the "lobby") he copied my driver's license. I didn't want to drop names this week and will resist doing so, but if things get drawn out, I just might have to...

I haven't been printed yet. That's this coming Tuesday. I'm pretty sure he retained my application, mental health form and two references (originals). (I should have scanned / copied them...) Oh, and I think (because he went back into the office while I was in the "lobby") he copied my driver's license. I didn't want to drop names this week and will resist doing so, but if things get drawn out, I just might have to...

I had similar thoughts when I applied, but everything turned out fine. Hopewell is pretty on the ball with the NJ system. I don't recall them taking my drivers license, but I can't say for sure.