Sign in to follow this  
nino

Caliber laws?

I believe anything over .50 is NFA banned anyway

NFA regulated, not banned. (Well, in America anyway)

It is perfectly legal to have >.50 cal rifles/cannon/mortar/etc so long as they are registered as DDs and you have the tax stamp and all assorted paperwork.

Some calibers >.50cal are not considered DDs because they have an accepted sporting purpose .600 Nitro Express, .950 JDJ, and others. However in NJ these are DDs per state law and you won't be getting one.

60 caliber is the present limit.

"Destructive device" means any device, instrument or object designed to

explode or produce uncontrolled combustion, including (1) any explosive or incendiary

bomb, mine or grenade; (2) any rocket having a propellant charge of more than four

ounces or any missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than onequarter

of an ounce; (3) any weapon capable of firing a projectile of a caliber greater

than 60 caliber, except a shotgun or shotgun ammunition generally recognized as

suitable for sporting purposes; (4) any Molotov cocktail or other device consisting of a

breakable container containing flammable liquid and having a wick or similar device

capable of being ignited. The term does not include any device manufactured for the

purpose of illumination, distress signaling, line-throwing, safety or similar purposes.

60 caliber is the present limit.

There's gotta be some sort of way around that. A sporting purposes waiver or something. Cause there's the 700 nitro express and 4 bore out there unless every one is under a DD stamp.

There's gotta be some sort of way around that. A sporting purposes waiver or something. Cause there's the 700 nitro express and 4 bore out there unless every one is under a DD stamp.

The manufacturers got sporting exemptions from the Destructive Device classifications. One of the criteria for the 'sporting exemption' is that the round must be a hunting round according to this thread.

"This is why nearly all the cartridges over .50 that have such an exemption are hunting rounds."

http://www.thehighro...p/t-607891.html

The largest is the 950 JDJ Centerfire rifle.

NFA regulated, not banned. (Well, in America anyway)

It is perfectly legal to have >.50 cal rifles/cannon/mortar/etc so long as they are registered as DDs and you have the tax stamp and all assorted paperwork.

There is no "assorted paperwork." It's the stamp on the one-page form they put the stamp on. Maybe you meant the piece of paper the stamp is on, but you made it sound like there was all kinds of "assorted" stuff and many people around here don't understand how it works and it makes it sound complicated. So I was just trying to clarify.

There is no "assorted paperwork." It's the stamp on the one-page form they put the stamp on. Maybe you meant the piece of paper the stamp is on, but you made it sound like there was all kinds of "assorted" stuff and many people around here don't understand how it works and it makes it sound complicated. So I was just trying to clarify.

Meant if you had completed the paperwork to get said stamp in the first place.

Meant if you had completed the paperwork to get said stamp in the first place.

Right. One page two sides, another page with one check box and a signature. Two pieces of paper to get the stamp in the first place. Far less than the paperwork to get an NJ pistol purchase permit.

Like I said, I didn't mean it to contradict you, just that many people that haven't done it think it's a lot of paperwork so I cringe when I read stuff like that because I think how other people might read it.