johngo1

Sig Sauer P226 Models

Can someone explain the difference between the Sig Sauer P226 models (not calibers)? For instance, they make a tactical and an elite as well as a few others. FID is in process and I am doing some research.

Thanks

Just different features on essentially the same base gun.

The Tactical may have a threaded barrel for use with a suppressor. The Elite is a fancy version sporting a beavertail and Sigs short reset trigger. They make SAO models as well as the traditional SA/DA and also DAK action. Most have alloy frames, but some are all stainless (the slides on all current domestic Sigs are stainless).

If you just read the descriptions and look at the specs of the various models, it should become apparent what the differences are.

HTH

Adios,

PIzza Bob

sighewa, I have no problem with the American frame on my 226. What's the issue?

Johngo1 - I recently got a 226 after major research and it can get confusing! (P226R with the E2 grip and SRT) I recommend you decide which features are important to you and don't be distracted by the shiny stuff. Sigs are spend as it is without adding extras!

Good luck!

All the info provided so far is good sound advice. Myself, I agree with Sighewa and say try and get a german framed gun. The all german guns are even better.

I own sigs that are german, german framed with a stainless slide and fully made in the us. The us framed guns finish is not the same as a german gun. The fit and finish quality just isn't the same and not what Sig people have come to love in Sig. They also wear much more than a German framed guns. I say this from experience, not what I have read on internet forums.

I suggest you try to find sig owners that are local to you. Check the guns out, shoot them and get an idea of what you like. The 226 is a great gun. Good luck.

I have a 226 Tactical Operations model in .40. I noticed three main differences from other 226's while shopping. The tac ops has a SRT or Short Reset Trigger, 4 15 round mags, and sig lite rear site/tru glow fiber optic front sight. I'm eyeing up a P226 X5 all around in 9mm as a big contender for my June purchase.

Price differences between the 226's seem to vary from $750 to over $1k.

Like everyone else has been saying, it's just a matter of features. Some are double action/single action, some are DAK (their version of double action only), some have short reset trigger.

Some guns come with custom grips, rubber grips, or the standard plastic. Some come with night sights as a standard feature.

Some have the "front cocking serrations," making it easier to pull the slide back by holding the front of the slide (a tactic taught in many defensive shooting courses).

I have the regular P226 and I love it. I think that regardless which model you get, you'll love yours as well. As best I can tell, they all come with the accessory rail under the slide; mine is an older model that doesn't have that feature.

Slight thread derail but I was wondering the other day... on the P226 models chambered in .40, can you just switch out the barrel/mags to .357SIG?

Not even a mag change - just a drop-in barrel change to go between .40 S&W and .357 Sig. They will shoot to two different POA, so make sure you know where they are - especially if you intend to carry for defensive purposes.

The .357 Sig was developed by necking down a .40 S&W case to .355". However, current ammunition, the case is a tad longer and is thus unique to .357 Sig. IOW, you shouldn't attempt to make it yourself.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

that x5 is a big heavy gun. it's nice though...

I'm looking for a 5" barrel 9mm without going into a straight up 1911 pistol. Had a 9mm 1911 but didn't care for it. Sig seems to have the only metal frame 5" barrel 9mm around and considering my love for my 226 in .40, definitely am leaving that way.

I'm looking for a 5" barrel 9mm without going into a straight up 1911 pistol. Had a 9mm 1911 but didn't care for it. Sig seems to have the only metal frame 5" barrel 9mm around and considering my love for my 226 in .40, definitely am leaving that way.

yeah I love that sig tactical x5. 1911s are a pain to take apart compared to modern pistols. you can always put in a long wolf extended barrel in a glock but you won't gain longer sights.

Far be it from me to try and talk anyone out of an X5, but you should be aware of the S&W PC offering of the 952. Take a look - direct competitor for the X5.

Good luck on whichever.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Another consideration is just getting a 9mm x change conversion to use on your tacops frame. That would be in the $300 range. Just a thought.

I think the X5 is a great gun. Definitely worth the $$ IMO.

Bob, I looked at SW website and couldn't find any info. Do you have a link or info on the 952?

I don't think they make new ones anymore....I remember the barrel having some kind of metal wrap around it. for accuracy maybe but it looks hard to take apart.

Bob, I looked at SW website and couldn't find any info. Do you have a link or info on the 952?

I hadn't realized they were no longer catalogged. Funny though, when you roll the mouse over the PC tab, the picture that comes up is the 952. Must have been recently dropped.

Wow guys thanks for all the responses. I think i may be eyeing the P226 Tac ops. Livinng in northern NJ my somewhat loacl gun shops are Ramsey Outdoor, Meltzera, and Mikes that i know of. Is this a gun that is usally in stock or would this typically need to be ordered?

Also, i figure this is not a try before you buy? Do any of these shops have a range that alows you to try it?

BTW put in my FID app last Wed, got my prints om Fri, Ref got their letters on Friday, and sent them back on Sat.

Hoping that background dosn't take that long.

Wow guys thanks for all the responses. I think i may be eyeing the P226 Tac ops. Livinng in northern NJ my somewhat loacl gun shops are Ramsey Outdoor, Meltzera, and Mikes that i know of. Is this a gun that is usally in stock or would this typically need to be ordered?

Also, i figure this is not a try before you buy? Do any of these shops have a range that alows you to try it?

BTW put in my FID app last Wed, got my prints om Fri, Ref got their letters on Friday, and sent them back on Sat.

Hoping that background dosn't take that long.

I purchased mine from PK90. He had to order it but it was at his shop in about a week. It may be a long drive, but I highly recommend giving him a call. www.colddeadhands.com