Sign in to follow this  
stagehand632

Anyone use ITW Fast mags Gen 3?

Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting some ammo pouches for my PMAG 20 round size with ranger clips. I want it for some classes I'm going to take. Does anyone have experience with these or have any recommendations.

http://www.botachtactical.com/itwfamagenii.html

post-3799-133657245995_thumb.jpg

I have 2, and have used them extensively. For a fast reload they work very well - solid retention without the use of straps/velcro/snaps. A small twist on the mag and you can yank it right out, and putting a mag back in is simple to accompish because the Fast mags are always "open". I've never had them fall out, and have taken 3 classes with them involving rapid shooting position changes and they are always there.

The one downside you may see is with the height of the 20rd pmags (even with ranger plates) may sit a little low in the ITW, and you may be tough get a solid purchase on the mag. I got around this by installing a .5" plug on the bottom to raise my 20's to where they are easier to grab. With 30rd mags it's not a problem since there is plenty of real estate.

I have 2, and have used them extensively. For a fast reload they work very well - solid retention without the use of straps/velcro/snaps. A small twist on the mag and you can yank it right out, and putting a mag back in is simple to accompish because the Fast mags are always "open". I've never had them fall out, and have taken 3 classes with them involving rapid shooting position changes and they are always there.

The one downside you may see is with the height of the 20rd pmags (even with ranger plates) may sit a little low in the ITW, and you may be tough get a solid purchase on the mag. I got around this by installing a .5" plug on the bottom to raise my 20's to where they are easier to grab. With 30rd mags it's not a problem since there is plenty of real estate.

What did you use to make the .5" plug?

What did you use to make the .5" plug?

I made mine out of some left over molding pieces. I cut a sections too long intentionally, then slowly sanded them down till they were a snug fit in the stationary half of the ITW. Then trimmed the height to .5". Hasn't budged. I know some guys have made them out of plastic (delrin) cutting boards. I would of done that, but I had the molding here and it's worked well and has taken abuse.

If you're not bent on the ITW's, Esstac has some new shorty pouches that look they will work better with the Pmag 20's.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-M4-KYWI-Single-Mag-Pouch-SHORTY-p/ess.232.htm

I use HSGI Taco's for 3-gun and just have the pmag 20's ride a little high in the pouch and they're easy to grab, however, since its a competition, i can stage them like that right before use and don't have to worry about them drooping back down over the long term.

The real benefit of the ITW is the ability to get access to a mag VERY quickly, with no straps, snaps, or flaps - and it still having solid retention. Personally I would not run just ITW's because they take up a lot of belt/molle real estate, which is their only drawback IMO. For example - I use 2 ITW's as my primary reloads, and then I have 2 Tactical Tailor 20rd shorty's as my secondary reloads, with one on my left hip.

Link for the TT pouches http://www.tacticaltailor.com/pouches/ammo/5-56-single-mag-pouch-20rd