rdsmith3

Introduced a young person to shooting

I am new to guns myself. I got my Remington 870 in December and my Walther PPQ 9mm in February. Last Saturday, I took my 16 yr old step-daughter to RTSP, because she had shown an interest. She did pretty well. She hit a smallish target at 5 yards with 14/15 rounds. It was definitely a confidence booster for her. I know she was pleased because she saved the target to show to my wife and to her father.

She now knows basic gun safety, and how to load and shoot a 9mm. In time, I will introduce her to a 12 ga.

Consider a 20 gauge. Lighter guns, lighter recoil. Less intimidation. Only downside is ammo is slightly more expensive. But it is sold everywhere 12 gauge is.

Probably due to my meager skills, but I have not found the gauge to be a limiting factor for trap or skeet (especially skeet).

I am new to guns myself. I got my Remington 870 in December and my Walther PPQ 9mm in February. Last Saturday, I took my 16 yr old step-daughter to RTSP, because she had shown an interest. She did pretty well. She hit a smallish target at 5 yards with 14/15 rounds. It was definitely a confidence booster for her. I know she was pleased because she saved the target to show to my wife and to her father.

She now knows basic gun safety, and how to load and shoot a 9mm. In time, I will introduce her to a 12 ga.

I think I might have seen you there. I think I was there around 11:30 ish? I was in the video room and I saw a guy and a young girl. How funny is that.

I believe teaching the young ones is the way to go. The world is a cruel one and getting worse. I started with my 11yrold son and a gas powered airsoft gun. When I felt he was ready for the range we went and he did excellent.

I commend you for teaching your step daughter safety and to protect herself. You will never know when a lost,stolen or used in a crime firearm might be found and if found by my son he will know how to disarm the weapon so no one can harm themselves / others.

Kudos to all of you that teach kids the fun in firearms ownership, along with the responsibility!

I started my son at 4 years old with a .22LR single-shot boys rifle, made him a NRA Life Member at age 5. I've taught the entire Scout Troop how to shoot rifles and shotguns (he's an Eagle Scout). He and I have shared many a fun time in the last 19 years!

I'm still teaching--I was a volunteer Instructor at Cherry Ridge last Saturday for their annual Youthfest/Scout day at the Range. Putting smiles on the faces of the young is really rewarding! And sharing something that you'll always have in common with a son or daughter is just fantastic!

Congrats again to those that get youth involved, for they will vote with us instead of against us when it's their turn!

I think I might have seen you there. I think I was there around 11:30 ish? I was in the video room and I saw a guy and a young girl. How funny is that.

We were gone by then. There were a couple of other teenage girls there when we were there, which was good for her to see.

I took my friend Alyssa (better known to my friends as "Midget") out last year to shoot my .22 at Bob's little. Granted, she's 4'10", and even my Savage .22 rifle was too big for her, but she really enjoyed it. She was sort of nervous, partially due to someone firing a .45 next to us (and being indoors, it's LOUD). But she was all proud of herself, even though she had quite a few flyers.

It's always fun taking people shooting for the first time. In fact, when I meet a new girl, I usually test the waters by mentioning going to a range sometime, if they seem interested, then I know it's a girl that I'll get along with.

Actually, I'm planning on taking a few friends shooting soon, and I've gotten at least 3 interested in getting their FIDs. Personally, I think it's some of the most fun a person can have, and it's particularly important for girls to learn to shoot. My niece is 2 right now, but in a few years, I hope to buy her a .22 (probably will be in my name, or I'll give my brother in law, who has an FID, the money to buy it for her, but it'll still be hers.)

I participate in our Club's official "Women's Day at the Range" every year. Ages 8-80 they come out of the woodwork to have some fun and learn new things. I believe that to empower Women with their right to shoot and showing them a good safe time doing it almost ensures that the next time they bump into some anti-gun BS on radio, tv or in person, at the very least they won't be "sucked-in", and they might just call "BS" and stand THEIR ground in support of THEIR rights!

Women represent half of the voters. The more Women we get on our side, the better!

Bob may hold a Womens' Day since he's on the NRA Board of Directors. Or he'll know where one is being held down in South Jersey. Next time you're in his shop you might want to inquire and get several of your GF's friends signed-up.

Dave

I participate in our Club's official "Women's Day at the Range" every year. Ages 8-80 they come out of the woodwork to have some fun and learn new things. I believe that to empower Women with their right to shoot and showing them a good safe time doing it almost ensures that the next time they bump into some anti-gun BS on radio, tv or in person, at the very least they won't be "sucked-in", and they might just call "BS" and stand THEIR ground in support of THEIR rights!

Women represent half of the voters. The more Women we get on our side, the better!

Bob may hold a Womens' Day since he's on the NRA Board of Directors. Or he'll know where one is being held down in South Jersey. Next time you're in his shop you might want to inquire and get several of your GF's friends signed-up.

Dave

Haha, no girl friend actually. She's just a friend of mine, long story. I am however, talking to a girl I met on a dating site (yes, a good looking 20 year old on a dating site, I'm pathetic, I know.) and she's never been, but she wants to do it. I figure that this calls for a trip to the range some day haha. Not sure if I'll go to Bob's little, as I don't have a handgun, and I usually prefer to bring several guns on each range trip. But I was figuring I'd warm her up on the .22, then have her move to the 8mm (which, considering she's Jewish, is sort of ironic to me), and then to the AR.

Thinking about it, I guess I know why I have the cash to play around with guns. I haven't gone steady with a girl in 3 years, that leaves a lot of cash for my toys XD.

I keep my Ruger 10/22 for my niece and bought a 20g Rem 1100 just for her for Trap and Sporting Clays, she was 14 when we started this last year. Hopefully this summer she can spend a week with us again. She likes the S&W 686 with wadcutters, she didn't like the 9mm 92FS too much. I told her I have a LOT more guns to try if she wants to. I know she is going to like all the .22 handguns we have now, especially the revolver.

Ha, she took a few shots from my Saiga-12 and said it's too heavy and hurts. Put that down, let her take one shot from the Mosin Nagant, she asked for the Ruger 10/22 back. :)

Started my-then 15 year old nephew out with his own Ruger 10/22. Just about two years later he is an avid shooter, preferring my handguns and two Mosins to shoot, especially since I joined Range 14.

For a kid who didn't have a real great sense of responsibility before getting involved in shooting, it has been a revelation seeing how he observes all gun safety rules implicitly, even lecturing his 27-year old brother in trigger discipline when he was handling some of the weapons.

These young people are absolutely the future of our activity. Encourage and support their interest in recreational shooting and make sure they know and appreciate their Constitutional rights.