Duppie

Swap a Sig p250 9mm for a S&W J frame .357 snubby?

Several parts to this question, so please bear with me.

I have a friend from the city who is moving to Jersey and wants to swap his14 year old S&W .357 snub nose in it's original case with 2 sets of grips for my Sig p250 9 MM compact with 4 mags.

Yeah I know....do it! but here's the thing. Other than figuring out that it's a satin j frame 5 shot that he bought in 1998 that some how came with a extra set of uninstalled wood grips and was only fired twice, I don't know much about the gun....The model #,does it have adjustable sights,what's it worth? eludes me.

I have a Taurus .357 snubby already but do I want another if it's not a 686?

I have lost all interest in the Sig and it's DA trigger since I got my CZ75b so parting with it is no great loss and I think I can always sell the S&W to finance a used Beretta 92 I've been lusting after.

Next he still has to get his NJ credentials in order to transfer his firearms to his now legal residents in NJ, so what do we need in the way of paperwork to make an even and NJ legal swap?

He also has a 1911 .45 that hasn't been fired in 25 years and want to dump it so I'll keep you posted.

Several parts to this question, so please bear with me.

I have a friend from the city who is moving to Jersey and wants to swap his14 year old S&W .357 snub nose in it's original case with 2 sets of grips for my Sig p250 9 MM compact with 4 mags.

Yeah I know....do it! but here's the thing. Other than figuring out that it's a satin j frame 5 shot that he bought in 1998 that some how came with a extra set of uninstalled wood grips and was only fired twice, I don't know much about the gun....The model #,does it have adjustable sights,what's it worth? eludes me.

I have a Taurus .357 snubby already but do I want another if it's not a 686?

I have lost all interest in the Sig and it's DA trigger since I got my CZ75b so parting with it is no great loss and I think I can always sell the S&W to finance a used Beretta 92 I've been lusting after.

I think you answered your own question ;) Life's too short to own guns you don't like to shoot, unless of course it's a collectible, which a Sig P250 will never be!

As far as a trade, it's just like you guys purchasing the gun from one another for $0. You need a valid P2P, FID, and matching license. You fill out the "Block A" section on the P2P and send the copies to the appropriate agencies - it's all on the permit.

Good luck!

I think you answered your own question ;) Life's too short to own guns you don't like to shoot, unless of course it's a collectible, which a Sig P250 will never be!

As far as a trade, it's just like you guys purchasing the gun from one another for $0. You need a valid P2P, FID, and matching license. You fill out the "Block A" section on the P2P and send the copies to the appropriate agencies - it's all on the permit.

Good luck!

Thanks NJluger....I know I've read it several times but I had to confirm. Yes I think I already answered the main question but still not sure which model came with 2 sets of grips from S&W so it will be awhile till I get hold of the gun to confirm since my friend has no clue or long forgot.

You have any pics of the gun? If you post them here, I'm sure the experts here will have it ID'd for you in no time!

He has them in storage in Manhattan and is hesitant to take them out until he is able to legally transport them to NJ and his new residence but I'll try to pick his brain further and get some photos.

So here's the update. The snub nose is not after all but actually a S&W Model 19. It was bought new in 1998 and came with black plastic and uninstalled mahogany factory grips. Supposedly only about 50 rounds fired through her but has some surface wear from being CCW'd in a brief case.

I can't wait and going out and getting another 3 ppp next week.