Silphidae

IDPA Card For FLorida CCW Training Requirements?

Has anyone successfully used their IDPA card/membership to get a Florida CCW? This is straight from their website;

"Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:

documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;"

If so I'm starting the application today!

Has anyone successfully used their IDPA card/membership to get a Florida CCW? This is straight from their website;

"Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:

documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;"

If so I'm starting the application today!

This wouldn't surprise me, as we're talking about Florida and they still make sense down there. Being both an IDPA Member and Competitior, as well as an USPSA Member and Competitor it stikes me as assinine that I'd have to go to a NRA Basic Pistol Class where they teach you the "basics" of where the bullets go and how to clear a jam. Now a Personal Protection Outside of The Home Class is a horse of another color.....

I do believe that the Florida Laws are taught with the traveling Florida CCW Road Show. Folks that have been through this will certainly set it straight.

Dave

I know about the Hunters Ed thing and have my booklet complete. Time is tight and I'd rather use my one free Saturday a month to shoot IDPA. I'll get he HE thing done eventually but want to use what I have to get the ball rolling.

Just ordered three fingerprint cards so I'm hoping this works. Will call FL tomorrow and see what they say.

Quick search found this:

http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?5379-Does-Experience-Count

and this:

http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?19419-Training-Requirement-IDPA-match

In order to use participation in a shooting sport to meet the training requirement for a CWFL, you have to be ranked in that sport. In IDPA, for example, you would have to have shot the Classification Match and be classified as a Marksman, Sharpshooter, etc.
...with affidavits, signatures, blah, blah, blah. I know a couple of folks that used their IDPA/IPSC participation to 'qualify'

Called them and reached a LIVE person. She did not know the answer so talked to her supervisor. Asked me to send the information to them directly (gave personal email) so they could look into it. So far I'm impressed with them and will let you know the response.

Cool, keep us posted, I already have mine in multiple states so no need, but I wonder if a USPSA classification would be good and if so, what rating would you need..

Harry,

I've been around now for a while. IMHO a "D" in USPSA is probably better than Qualifying on a FBI "Q" Target for Police. With USPSA Quals you have No-Shoots blocking standard USPSA Targets, and at a decent distance! With standard Police Quals, it's just the Bowling Pin Target where any hit is a hit (although some Depts. do like to see center-of-mass hits, and they count higher).

Just sayin'

Dave

Here's what I sent in yesterday;

Hi Amanda,

I have included a summary of my involvement in the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA), which is an organized shooting competition.  It is based on real world concealed carry situations and equipment, emphasizing safe handling and accurate shooting. The link below will give you additional information. 

What is IDPA?

http://www.idpa.com/dps_info.asp

Here is my membership card and official standing within the club. I have classified in the SSP division (glocks and the like) as a Marksman. I shoot once per month in this division (picture removed).

Here is a print screen of my official classification on the IDPA website (picture removed).

Here is the course of fire that I had to complete to get my certification as a marksman (had image of qualifier attached).

Thank you for looking into this. I believe that my classification in IDPA fully meets the training requirements for the Florida CCW permit, "documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition".  I appreciate your response and time you spent with me on the phone today. 

Here's what I got back today;

Yes, I did receive the information. Your training will be acceptable.  

Amanda Herring, Public Inquiry Supervisor

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Division of Licensing

Bureau of License Issuance.

I'm really impressed with Florida so far!

Awesome. I had made a date to get finger printed and notarized at GFH, then realized I couldn't find my certificate from a Basic Pistol class I took a few years back. I was thinking of submitting my IDPA information when this thread started.

So, fingerprints done, application notarized, a nice passport size photo, a photocopy of front and back of my IDPA card with classification and match director signature and the classifier scoresheet, and a check for the fees... in the mail this morning. I expect, from what I've read on Florida turnaround times, I might see my license before the 4th of July.

Thanks for making that call Lesniewv.

Bah... I tossed that classifier, no way i'm going to immortalize my ESP novice classification (and it hasn't been signed on my card yet.) It makes me a little sad inside. :p

I sent my CDP marksman classifier info from last April in New Hope, PA. They signed my card right after the match.

Bah... I tossed that classifier, no way i'm going to immortalize my ESP novice classification (and it hasn't been signed on my card yet.) It makes me a little sad inside. :p

I sent my CDP marksman classifier info from last April in New Hope Holland, PA. They signed my card right after the match.

Fixed it

Had business in Florida on June 12. Took some time to make an appointment and get the process rolling while I was there. Process took a total of 15 minutes Received my permit in the mail today.....16 days is incredible. Only down side is they kept one of my idpa cards, but it's no big deal since I have a second. I assume I could have taken a photocopy of the card but didn't think of it at the time.

Crossbreed Supertuck on order!

Alright, for anyone wondering about mail-in process times now... I received a reply last Thursday, so that was 8 weeks mailbox to mailbox.

However, the response was that I had omitted evidence of training in my application and that I should provide it within 30 days. I called Friday morning and explained that I did include a copy of the front and back of my IDPA card with classifier results entered and signed by the match director as well as a copy of the match results and asked what additional information would be required. They took my information and moved it up for a Supervisor to review.

I received a pretty fast call back and they let me know that they do accept the information I gave, that my license has been approved based on the original information and my license will be printed and sent in the next couple weeks.

So, If anyone else considers using evidence of competition as a basis for proof of competency, it is acceptable and my bump in the road probably won't happen to future applicants, but a quick call to some very helpful people in Florida will be all you need.

And Gun for Hire was a quick, easy and professional way to take care of notarizing and fingerprinting. Thanks guys.

Alright, for anyone wondering about mail-in process times now... I received a reply last Thursday, so that was 8 weeks mailbox to mailbox.

However, the response was that I had omitted evidence of training in my application and that I should provide it within 30 days. I called Friday morning and explained that I did include a copy of the front and back of my IDPA card with classifier results entered and signed by the match director as well as a copy of the match results and asked what additional information would be required. They took my information and moved it up for a Supervisor to review.

I received a pretty fast call back and they let me know that they do accept the information I gave, that my license has been approved based on the original information and my license will be printed and sent in the next couple weeks.

So, If anyone else considers using evidence of competition as a basis for proof of competency, it is acceptable and my bump in the road probably won't happen to future applicants, but a quick call to some very helpful people in Florida will be all you need.

And Gun for Hire was a quick, easy and professional way to take care of notarizing and fingerprinting. Thanks guys.

Glad we could help.