Sign in to follow this  
PDM

"Gun Deaths Outpace Motor Vehicle Deaths"

I see that there is a new "study" out by the Violence Policy Center stating that gun deaths outpace motor vehicle deaths in 10 states. This "news" has been picked up in a number of media outlets -- do a google search and you will see. This is laughable, because comparing intentional homicides and suicides -- which together account for almost all gun related deaths -- to motor vehicle accidents is meaningless. I've seen at least one gun control blogger set up a straw man argument and assert that "gun owners" (generically, with no specific attribution) routinely compare motor vehicle accidents to gun deaths. Not sure which gun owners are being referred to, but the only valid comparison is between the 600 or so accidental gun deaths and the thousands of motor vehicle accidents each year. Also, the VPC misleadingly harps about "gun safety" which as we know has nothing to do with its true aim -- gun prohibition. The VPC is referred to as an "educational organization" in some of these articles -- which is outrageous, since the VPC is an advocacy organization that spews propoaganda and disinformation by the bucketful.

It would be a good idea if people on this forum commented on some of these stories pointing out the fallacies and outright lies being spread by the VPC.

I wonder if any of those 10 states are on the border w/ Mexico, or if Mexico was included in the study.

Nobody has ever accused VPC of being honest. Eugene Volohk has a good post that rips about the data and exposes VPC's bias. They claim the gun industry needs safety regulations, but if that's the case, then they should only be concerned with accidental deaths involving guns. In MI, for example, VPC claims there are 1082 firearms deaths but only 962 motor vehicle deaths. A closer look at the numbers reveals that only 12 of the firearm deaths were accidents, while there were 575 suicides (probably has something to do with >10% unemployment in MI) and 495 homicides (likely mostly in Detroit, which isn't a place you want to be after dark).

bullcrap....who financed or had special interest in the study....i do alot of foot and ankle trauma and i see alot of mva traumas in the trauma bay......like someone posted earlier where was the study taken ......these type of studies rarely lists demographics...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2