hd2000fxdl

Lyman 49th Edition

For all the folks who are looking at getting into reloading, this is probably the first book you should get, and probably one of the most popular ones out there.

Just happens if you're a member of DVOR they have it on sale for 18 bucks today.

IF you would like to check it out you can click DVOR. this is a reference link from me just so you know.

They also have the RCBS lock-out die for 40 bucks and their powder check die for 28 bucks, not sure if thats great pricing but sometimes DVOR does get some good deals but as with any site, you have to know what you are looking at and what it goes for.

It's not the greatest book to get your info multiple sources are best bet; that book contains only a few bullet types and weights

I beg to differ. Lyman is probably probably the most comprehensive manual out there. They give you data on bullets from all manufacturers. You'll find data on WW, Remington, Sierra, and Hornaday bullets you're not going to find in a Speer manual. I been reloading close to 40 years and for the past ten have only bought the Lyman manual.

I beg to differ. Lyman is probably probably the most comprehensive manual out there. They give you data on bullets from all manufacturers. You'll find data on WW, Remington, Sierra, and Hornaday bullets you're not going to find in a Speer manual. I been reloading close to 40 years and for the past ten have only bought the Lyman manual.

First if all thru don't don't give you "all" that info; second why would Speer put ww,rem,sierra,hornady? Lol you must have a special Lyman I don't have been loading 9 years now.

second why would Speer put ww,rem,sierra,hornady?

Precisely the reason I bought the Lyman. They don't make powders, bullets, primers (AFAIK) so they are going to be somewhat less biased. I am just getting started, but to me, buying from a manufacturer inspires less trust in the data. The book becomes a marketing tool. And yes, I know that Lyman is using it to push their reloading stuff. But on bullets, etc..., not so much.

C

First if all thru don't don't give you "all" that info; second why would Speer put ww,rem,sierra,hornady? Lol you must have a special Lyman I don't have been loading 9 years now.

I said Lyman gives you data for bullets from all manufacturers not all bullets from all manufacturers. You're having a bit of a comprehension problem as others apparently didn't have an issue with my syntax and semantics. I don't have a "special" Lyman. If you look on the first page a caliber is listed you will see "jacketed bullets used" in any Lyman. There is listed a variety of bullet weights from several different manufacturers. If you know how you can use the data for a 55gr Sierra to load a 55gr Speer.

If you want to buy a dozen reloading manuals knock yourself out. Most people don't need that many and get by with a few. AFAIC Lyman is about the best out there. You will find this opinion is shared by many.

Probability would have it that I have learned at least as much about reloading as you have. This is most likely due to the fact I have been reloading for nearly nine years before you were born. That is unless you are some type of ballistics engineer that works for the military or an ammunition company.

Thru = Lyman; IPhone wins again

This must be encoded.

Lyman produces good stuff.

On a somewhat different note, their "Black Powder Handbook - 1st Edition" was considered THE black powder reloading Bible from 1975 until 2008 when their 2nd Edition came out. This book included all make and manner of round ball and lead bullets from their own molds, and from other makers like Lee and T/C, as well as factory cast & swaged lead. (Back before the sabot craze.) It's a great source of info.

It's not the greatest book to get your info multiple sources are best bet; that book contains only a few bullet types and weights

No, it pretty much is the best single source book to use for a reloader and the one I reccomend to everyone who is starting out. Multiple books are important and helpful, but this one is a must to be included in every library.

I agree everyone who reloads should have a few different books on hand, and yes there is a point in todays age of the internet that online sources are good, but I still think everyone should have a few references in print on hand.

With that being said, if I could only have 1 book, it would be the Lyman 49th edition, well that is until a new version of it comes out..