thewarrenterror

Approved for License/Handgun permit but denied purchase?

PAGE 113 of the Nappen book says contact an attorney right now.. State police could be looking for you because of the denial..

(don't flame me.. i'm just reading from the book).

Wouldn't they have come to my house already? What would they be looking for me FOR? I haven't done anything! I tried to purchase a firearm that they gave me a permit to purchase!

you have a permit to purchase and a driver's license. you should just do a private purchase. The permit is proof that you are allowed to buy a handgun, and a driver's license will show your address matches what's on the permit. that's the extent of the "background check" if you buy privately. ;)

I know you guys are the veterans here, i am the rookie.. with real due respect here.. he just got DENIED to purchase a weapn from the Fed.. (whether it was an error or not..) and you guys are telling him to go ahead and do a private purchase? Something is very askew.. i don't think purchasing a weapon when something is askew is a good idea until he figures it out..

From the Nappen book. page 113..

WARNING: If you are denied via a NICS background check for the purchase of a firearm, the State Polilce will investigate you and you become a target of prosecution. A person could face a potential third degree (5 year maximum jail time) crime for making false statements on a firearms application under NJS 2C 39-10 ©..

If a person is ever denied by NICS, immediately contact an attorney knowledegable in New Jersey Gun Law...

I believe the original poster when he says he is innocent, it probably IS just a mistake.. but this should be handled very seriously.

...again, all due respect.. i don't want this thread to turn into a war of whether he should do a private purchase or not.. i'm just looking out for the guy.. that's all..

I've been the victim of identity fraud.. its SUCKS.. fixing the system sucks.. i just want him to get to the bottom of it.

I know you guys are the veterans here, i am the rookie.. with real due respect here.. he just got DENIED to purchase a weapn from the Fed.. (whether it was an error or not..) and you guys are telling him to go ahead and do a private purchase? Something is very askew.. i don't think purchasing a weapon when something is askew is a good idea until he figures it out...

I understand what you're saying, but here's something to think about...what if he never have gone to an FFL and went straight to a private purchase, would he still be accountable if the cops show up at his place? And if he ends up getting in trouble for it, can he sue his PD for approving his permit when they shouldn't have in the first place?

a dealer doesn't find out the reason for denials, NICS doesn't tell us, the dealer can give you a denial request form which you can mail in and receive a written reason for denial from the state

Every time that I make a firearm purchase I have about a one hour wait on the NICS, the check always comes back "pending". My FFL asked me if I would like to talk to the NICS person to see why there is always a delay even though it always passes. I took him up on it and this is what I found out. A little over 40 years ago I had a DUI in New York. This still shows up on my record and the NICS people have to request clarification from New York. This is what takes an hour to get. Once they receive the clarification the purchase is ok'd right away. My FFL suggested that I could have the 40 year old offense expunged but after Googling a bit it seems that New York wouldn't allow it plus the one hour wait isn't worth the attorney's fees.

Every time that I make a firearm purchase I have about a one hour wait on the NICS, the check always comes back "pending". My FFL asked me if I would like to talk to the NICS person to see why there is always a delay even though it always passes. I took him up on it and this is what I found out. A little over 40 years ago I had a DUI in New York. This still shows up on my record and the NICS people have to request clarification from New York. This is what takes an hour to get. Once they receive the clarification the purchase is ok'd right away. My FFL suggested that I could have the 40 year old offense expunged but after Googling a bit it seems that New York wouldn't allow it plus the one hour wait isn't worth the attorney's fees.

Get yourself a UPIN.

Get yourself a UPIN.

I looked at the site and it seems that I need be fingerprinted. Would you know if I need to go to my local PD to make an appointment at Sagem Morpho to get fingerprinted even though this would be going to the FBI?

Not sure why they would deny a purchase. Everytime i make a ffl purchase i get put in pending status for over an hour. But i was told by FFL it could be because my last name (Smith) was very common.

I'm glad I don't have a common last name. I've been told numerous times by different dealers that my NICS checks are the fastest they have ever seen, especially dealers in PA.

Nothing is stopping you from buying a handgun used on a face to face sale, you have all the proper credentials ( no nics check on independent sales )

Other than the fact he knows he has a denial, and a copy of the form from the seller will go to the njsp within 5 days of the privite sale

I would suggest You appeal the denial get it strightened out before you try to purchase any firearms

Read through the thread....and never saw a follow up post with the actual reason for denial/status update/resolution from the op.....looked at his profile and saw last active was in June 2012... Wonder if he did the f2f and got a visit from the man and got jammed up...lol