Bully

2400 and 158gn L/SWC... Recipies???

Don't know why I can't find it. Not sure what I'm missing, but I can't and I am!!!

I'm looking to load .357Mag with CCI SPM, 2400 and 158gn L/SWC. Anyone got a recipie to share that I'm missing? I only have the Lyman book, and it just doesn't have anything like it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

C

You won't find that combo. 2400 is a slow-burner is designed for magnum loads. That lead bullet wouldn't be a good mix when driven fast. A gas check on the base to reduce leading would be preferable. You could load the lead bullet with 11.5 grs. of 2400 (starting load in my Hornady manual for a 158 gr. jacketed bullet.) With a jacketed 158 gr. bullet, it's rated at 1,000 fps. Do you know the hardness of the lead bullet you are using? A good hardcast 158 gr. bullet with gas check can start with 13.5 grs. of 2400 up to....well, I'm not saying. I've only loaded 2400 with jacketed bullets from 110 grs. to 160 grs. over heavy charges.

Unfortunately I don't see a hardness listed on the box. They're Hornady's, that's all I know. There is no provision for gas checks. I am going to call Hornady, Alliant, and Lyman tomorrow, so we'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the great info, Parker. Much appreciated.

C

NHornaday lead bullets are swaged AFAIK. That means they're on the soft side. You'd be better off keeping these down to a 1000 fps using a faster powder like Unique. Gas check bullets work well but there is a down side. If buy them with the gas check already on they are about the same price as jacketed bullets. Its not much cheaper putting your own on. You may as well buy jacketed bullets. Google lead bullets and you will find some commercial casters offer bullets in different hardness. I load these hard cast bullets to about 1400 fps with no gas checks and minimal leading. This is using a slower powder like W296.

Velocity is not the biggest bugaboo that causes leading. The usual two reasons for a load leading badly is undersized bullets and too high a pressure for the hardness of the bullet. Your bullet should be at least .001 bigger than your bore or .358 for a .357.

Some people will go bigger than that. A bullet that doesn't upset and fill the grooves tends to rattle down the bore causing leading.

If the bullet is too soft the pressure deforms the base and causes leading. It can also cause poor accuracy. You can go to a harder bullet or use a gas check to protect the base or you can reduce the charge of that powder to reduce pressure. High pressure and high velocity are not always related. If you look in Lyman's (because they give pressure figures) and look for two loads using the same bullet giving the same velocity say with Bullseye and Unique you'll see the Bullseye load (faster powder) gives a higher pressure.

If you use a gas check you can shoot cast bullets in rifles well over 2000 fps.

Hope this helps in figuring what you want to do.

NHornaday lead bullets are swaged AFAIK. That means they're on the soft side. You'd be better off keor lesseping these down to a 1000 fps using a faster powder like Unique. Gas check bullets work well but there is a down side. If buy them with the gas check already on they are about the same price as jacketed bullets. Its not much cheaper putting your own on. You may as well buy jacketed bullets. Google lead bullets and you will find some commercial casters offer bullets in different hardness. I load these hard cast bullets to about 1400 fps with no gas checks and minimal leading. This is using a slower powder like W296.

Velocity is not the biggest bugaboo that causes leading. The usual two reasons for a load leading badly is undersized bullets and too high a pressure for the hardness of the bullet. Your bullet should be at least .001 bigger than your bore or .358 for a .357.

Some people will go bigger than that. A bullet that doesn't upset and fill the grooves tends to rattle down the bore causing leading.

If the bullet is too soft the pressure deforms the base and causes leading. It can also cause poor accuracy. You can go to a harder bullet or use a gas check to protect the base or you can reduce the charge of that powder to reduce pressure. High pressure and high velocity are not always related. If you look in Lyman's (because they give pressure figures) and look for two loads using the same bullet giving the same velocity say with Bullseye and Unique you'll see the Bullseye load (faster powder) gives a higher pressure.

If you use a gas check you can shoot cast bullets in rifles well over 2000 fps.

Hope this helps in figuring what you want to do.

Sound advice! :yes:

Save the 2400 for duplicating those Elmer Keith-style loads. I've used the same Hornady swaged lead 158 gr. bullet with good success to 1,000 fps and less without any leading issues in my M19. There are other powders better suited than 2400 as others have noted.

Bullseye and Unique are favorites. W231 I've tried as well. H110 & 2400 my favorites for the hotter loads. One of my favorite pet loads with the Hornady 158 gr. SWC uses 8.9 grs. of Blue Dot. BD actually works well with medium to high power loads.

Trail Boss is between Bullseye and Unique as far as speed goes. I've never used it so I can't suggest anything. It should be good for std velocity loads in 38 spl.

I've been reloading almost 40 years. I've used a lot of powders and about 20 years ago settled on these for handguns:

Bullseye- for light to std loads. Good for small cases like 380 and 9mm.

Unique- for light to moderate loads. Up to about 1200 fps for 357 and 44 mag. Also good for reduced lead bullet loads in 30-30, 308, and 30-06. It can also be used for shotshell loading.

W296- for full bore 357 and 44 mag loads. Thos is a ball powder that can get you in trobule using reduced loads. You need to use magnum primers with this powder. I believe its H110 sold under the Winchester label.

If I had to get by with one pistol powder it would be Unique.

I will be picking up a pound of Unique today, I hope. Looking forward to putting some rounds together. Now, I just gotta wait on some pieces from Lyman for my press. The cup and anvil flew off it the other day and in my garage... let's just say it was easier to call Lyman and order new parts.

C