checko

cant settle on a front sight

I have the same problem but found a yankee hill maufacturing gas block riser...brings the mbus up to correct height..and no issues at all with plastic melting

im using a magpul mbus sights and had no issues. people worry they could melt but unless you are ripping through 30 round mags on full auto i dont see it happening.

Also - not saying it won't happen but I've gone through a MDTS course - 500+ rounds through my AR..... That thing got HOT.

How much was that? Seems like a PITA when you could just buy a gas block height

http://www.primaryarms.com/Yankee_Hill_Gas_Block_Riser_p/yhm-230.htm

I was partial to the MBUS so thats why i went with this configuration..still came out cheaper than most iron back up sights..total for front MBUS and riser was $65

I have the same problem but found a yankee hill maufacturing gas block riser...brings the mbus up to correct height..and no issues at all with plastic melting

Not trying to start an arguement, just curious about your set up.

Magpul says this about the front sight:

NOTE: Cannot be mounted to a railed gas block due to excess heat issues. Front MBUS must be mounted to a railed fore end on the same plane as the receiver rail. Because of this the sight is also not compatible with MOE Hand Guards.

Now I know you said you put a YHM riser on it but I would think that would still transfer the heat from the gas block into the sight.

Again just curious how hard you may have run it, because IMHO I would think you would have trouble with heat after running several mags through it.

Im not a spokesperson for magpul but just saying i havent had the heat problem using that riser..and of course magpul would say that..lawyers add disclaimers on everything..im not telling you guys to do it..just that it works for me..i dont baby my gun but am not shooting at minigun speeds eithet

Im not a spokesperson for magpul but just saying i havent had the heat problem using that riser..and of course magpul would say that..lawyers add disclaimers on everything..im not telling you guys to do it..just that it works for me..i dont baby my gun but am not shooting at minigun speeds eithet

Thanks for the reply, I know it is not recommended but I have seen pics and read stories both for and against it. Mostly piston upper guys saying your gtg.

Melted MBUS

140.jpg

The hell with the MBUS, what is up with the low profile gas block failure? That is nasty! I would like to know which one that is so I can stay clear away from them. I have a MI low profile on my PitBull and am using a Daniel Defense Mk12 on my Block II build but still need one for the .300 Blackout I am working on.

The hell with the MBUS, what is up with the low profile gas block failure? That is nasty! I would like to know which one that is so I can stay clear away from them. I have a MI low profile on my PitBull and am using a Daniel Defense Mk12 on my Block II build but still need one for the .300 Blackout I am working on.

Thats not an ordinary MBUS melting on a gas block...that looks like a freeking catastrophic gas block handguard explosion :)