Sign in to follow this  
Cherrybomb

First time shooting a "real" gun!

Woo Hoo! Anthony took me shooting back in March and I had a blast. Didn't do too badly either. Tried a few different guns and I did best with a heavier, all metal Sig Sauer P229.

I shot a 22 first. I did pretty good, but it felt like a pea shooter. It was very light but I hit all 6 bullets on the target. Then he let me try the Sig Sauer and I did really well with that. I split the pole, hit in all good places and the recoil on that was comfortable. Then we tried the plastic gun and I hated that. I felt I had no control.

So then he took his 45 out and I really didn't do too well at all with that. It hurt my wrist to shoot and it had too much of a recoil for me. It left an "aftershock" feeling in my wrist too. I think I only hit the target once with that and it was in the white area that wasn't a human (far left bottom corner you can see the big hole).

Then he let me shoot his 40 caliber competition pistol. That was too much gun for me too but it was fun to shoot. It was smoother than the 45 though.

Then we tried hitting the frying pan. I shot 6 times to it and only hit the dirt around it. I can feel what I'm doing wrong - I don't level the gun properly. That should come with practice though. Same for actually hitting the target.

Anyway, Anthony shot the frying pan 6 times. It was pretty fun to watch.

Here's some pics.

This one is right after shooting a few 22's and then the 9mm. The holes in the cardboard were already there. I did hit the paper the entire time except for once with the 45 which you'll see later.

post-5229-0-42541100-1344176587_thumb.jpg

Here's the frying pan after the first set of 6 Anthony shot - he was using his competition pistol:

post-5229-0-14210600-1344176650_thumb.jpg

I have more images I'll add in the next post. :( seems I can't upload more here.

LOL oh well. so much for the rest. I seem to have used up my entire quota for posting photos on the site.

anyway, I'm now ready to buy a gun. The sooner the better but I would like to go shoot some revolvers before I purchase.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to shoot?

Also, I would like to get that Florida carry permit ASAP. Can I apply for that before I get my gun? Where is that link for the application and info on that? I seem to have lost it.

Went to Sure Shot today and shot that Smith & Wesson. OMG I LOVE IT!

The sales guy was real good too. You're right about the class for the Fla cc permit. I'm going to call and make an appointment tonight now that I'm home. I'll get to try a number of different guns in the class to, that's why it suggested I take the class even before I buy a gun.

That gun was REAL smooth, comfy and I was pretty accurate with it considering it was like my second time shooting. I only missed the target like 7 times out of 30 bullets at 7 yards. Not bad. I can only get better.

Went over to Dick's to look at shotguns and that's going to be another major project. My hands are too small to comfortably pull the trigger and my house is VERY tiny, so dragging that thing through rooms is not really good. I'm going to have to look at assault style shotguns for home protection. At the very least, it's going to be a harder purchase than the handgun.

Salesman had me look at a couple of smaller guns for carrying too: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CompareProductsDisplay?storeId=750001&catalogId=750051&langId=-1&categoryId=757767&top=&catentryId=766307&catentryId=766365

I think those are the two he showed me, I'm not sure. The safety class will be hugely helpful.

Hi cherry bomb. Im new to this site and to shooting as a whole. You mentioned shore shot, i live in ocean county. I was at brick armory last week, rented a glock. Im waiting for my FID and purchasers permit to come back. But if you ever wanna shoot im down.

John

Went to Sure Shot today and shot that Smith & Wesson. OMG I LOVE IT!

The sales guy was real good too. You're right about the class for the Fla cc permit. I'm going to call and make an appointment tonight now that I'm home. I'll get to try a number of different guns in the class to, that's why it suggested I take the class even before I buy a gun.

That gun was REAL smooth, comfy and I was pretty accurate with it considering it was like my second time shooting. I only missed the target like 7 times out of 30 bullets at 7 yards. Not bad. I can only get better.

Went over to Dick's to look at shotguns and that's going to be another major project. My hands are too small to comfortably pull the trigger and my house is VERY tiny, so dragging that thing through rooms is not really good. I'm going to have to look at assault style shotguns for home protection. At the very least, it's going to be a harder purchase than the handgun.

Salesman had me look at a couple of smaller guns for carrying too: http://www.smith-wes...tentryId=766365

I think those are the two he showed me, I'm not sure. The safety class will be hugely helpful.

shotgun for home defense in a poor choice.. as is a handgun..

a 16in semi automatic rifle chambered in 556 will do adequate trauma with reduced risk of over penetration...

ideally an AR15 with a light mounted...

I personally utilize a 14.5in AR (with a permanently attached brake)

it is light.. versatile.. and the ultimate interior home defense weapon..

I know it may be counterintuitive..

Ballistics.jpg

The club I belong to is doing a 3 state class (fla, Utah and I forget the 3rd) that includes the fingerprinting and all that. It's going to be in October and it $180.

For just the NRA class and you handle the rest yourself we charge $50. It's 8hr and includes range time with supplied guns, ammo, targets, eye and ear protection, lunch and a packet of books and other stuff from the NRA.

*Wall of informative text*

Ballistics.jpg

For some reason I can't remove the picture...

I agree. 5.56 is more than adequate in stopping aggressive behavior, throw in Soft Point ammunition and over penetration is a very small factor.

But shop with in your means, and do research before you jump into a home defense weapon. You'll have to trust your life it (hopefully never having to use it). Pump shotguns are easier in NJ to modify than semi-auto. You might be able to get a stock with pistol grip put on and reduce the length you'll need to reach the trigger. Maybe something to look into once you decide on what shotgun to get.

EDIT: As for uploading pictures to the forum, use image hosting sites. I personally prefer Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/), but have used photobucket (http://photobucket.com/). Using those are SOOOOOO much easier than managing attachments here on the forum.

Edited by mgralley

Hi cherry bomb. Im new to this site and to shooting as a whole. You mentioned shore shot, i live in ocean county. I was at brick armory last week, rented a glock. Im waiting for my FID and purchasers permit to come back. But if you ever wanna shoot im down.

John

Sure! I'll keep you in mind when I get my guns.

It's a shame my club had that class Saturday

The guy that runs the class from Sure Shot said the same thing when I called him. Next class in two weeks.

The club I belong to is doing a 3 state class (fla, Utah and I forget the 3rd) that includes the fingerprinting and all that. It's going to be in October and it $180.

For just the NRA class and you handle the rest yourself we charge $50. It's 8hr and includes range time with supplied guns, ammo, targets, eye and ear protection, lunch and a packet of books and other stuff from the NRA.

Ah, I just can't wait until October. I'd like to get it out of the way now.

Sounds like a nice class too. You're also very far away in Salem county.

FWIW, NJ Hunters Safety course qualifies as an acceptable course, although since you are so new to firearms I would highly reccomend the NRA course.

Yeah, I think the class I'm going to take and the advice from the guy at the shop is the best route for me.

You now have the addiction

Yeah I do!

I might even try skeet shooting sometime down the road. I always had an interest in that and whenever I watched it on TV or live, I found that it looked really fun and exciting.

I don't know why I never got into guns earlier in my life. Oh wait, I know. My ex was an ass and I didn't trust a gun in the house as long as he was around!

EDIT: As for uploading pictures to the forum, use image hosting sites. I personally prefer Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/), but have used photobucket (http://photobucket.com/). Using those are SOOOOOO much easier than managing attachments here on the forum.

I "fired" photobucket years ago and I absolutely will not ever use someone else to host my images since I have my own sites and a server to host them on. I don't trust my stuff under the supervision of God knows who and the risk of losing stuff I don't have a backup for is too risky.

I'll have that all sorted out by the week's end. I'm gearing up to move hosts this week so I am not going to upload anything until after the move.

^^^Didn't know you had your own domain. I stopped webmastering a couple years ago when HTML 5 was getting ready to take over. Really didn't want to learn a whole new book of rules and syntax for a part time hobby.

I just use those for the not important pictures I take. Stuff of guns, airsoft, small projects etc. Everything thats important is on three drives, and backed up to a CD once every so often.