shizzoizzo7

Travel to Ireland, Any Suggestions?

I'll be going to Ireland next month and am trying to plan out some "must sees." If anyone has been and has any ideas please let me know!

Thank you

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• Brú na Bóinne (the Boyne Palace) in County Meath contains some of the most important historic sites and monuments in Ireland, and is a designated World Heritage Site.
  • The Ring of Kerry drive encapsulates their image of Ireland: ancient monuments, romantic castles, spectacular gardens and colorful towns and villages.
  • The Cliffs of Moher, which feature some of the most breathtaking views on the entire island.
  • The Giant's Causeway, a coastal area of about 40,000 basalt columns near the town of Bushmills in County Antrim, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Northern Ireland.
  • The Aran Islands, the collective name for the small islands, Inishmór, Inishmaan and Inisheer. The mystical, frozen-in-time islands are famous for their preservation of a rural existence largely unchanged, at least culturally, over the centuries.
  • The Guinness Storehouse tells the story of how Guinness is made and how this famous drink came to be one of Ireland's best-known exports.
  • Trinity College is Ireland's most prestigious college- and although its rivals at University College Dublin might dispute this, it's probably the best university in Ireland.
  • The Burren, which is formed by limestone karst plates that have been thrust to the earth’s surface - in other words, it's a great big rocky mass - is one of Ireland’s most famous natural attractions.
  • St. Patrick's Cathedral, Ireland’s largest church, is also one of the biggest tourist attractions in Dublin.
  • Croke Park is the stadium where Ireland's two national sports, hurling and Gaelic football, are played. It is also the headquarters of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), the sporting body responsible for these national games.
  • The Old Jameson Distillery.
  • The Blarney Castle and Stone.

Brú na Bóinne (the Boyne Palace) in County Meath contains some of the most important historic sites and monuments in Ireland, and is a designated World Heritage Site.

The Ring of Kerry drive encapsulates their image of Ireland: ancient monuments, romantic castles, spectacular gardens and colorful towns and villages.

The Cliffs of Moher, which feature some of the most breathtaking views on the entire island.

The Giant's Causeway, a coastal area of about 40,000 basalt columns near the town of Bushmills in County Antrim, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Northern Ireland.

The Aran Islands, the collective name for the small islands, Inishmór, Inishmaan and Inisheer. The mystical, frozen-in-time islands are famous for their preservation of a rural existence largely unchanged, at least culturally, over the centuries.

The Guinness Storehouse tells the story of how Guinness is made and how this famous drink came to be one of Ireland's best-known exports.

Trinity College is Ireland's most prestigious college- and although its rivals at University College Dublin might dispute this, it's probably the best university in Ireland.

The Burren, which is formed by limestone karst plates that have been thrust to the earth’s surface - in other words, it's a great big rocky mass - is one of Ireland’s most famous natural attractions.

St. Patrick's Cathedral, Ireland’s largest church, is also one of the biggest tourist attractions in Dublin.

Croke Park is the stadium where Ireland's two national sports, hurling and Gaelic football, are played. It is also the headquarters of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), the sporting body responsible for these national games.

The Old Jameson Distillery.

The Blarney Castle and Stone.

These are all fantastic ideas. I spent my time in Dublin. Unfortunately, time didn't allow me much room to trek. Breakfast at Bewleys followed by strolling along Grafton Street. Walk through St. Stephen's Green. On your way to the Storehouse, visit The Brazen Head for a pint....oldest pub in Dublin.

I also spent some time at The Irish Film Centre. They usually have exposes of classic films...enjoyed while enjoying a pint of the black stuff.

My wife and I went there on our honeymoon and had a blast! Did you know they had beer there? :)

Anyway, we flew into Dublin and drove south around the coast for 10 days. We stayed in Dublin, Ardmore, Dingle, Galway, Connemara, and back in Dublin before flying home.

I can't think if one single "must see"... the whole trip was a must see. Rather then tour bus we just rented a car and did our own thing. Driving on the left wasn't too bad once I got used to it. Their roads, on the other hand, took a lot of getting used to. Some were no bigger then golf-cart paths..

One thing I would do differently would be to spend more time in each location. We had two nights in each, which meant one full day in each to explore followed by mostly full days traveling. It felt rushed trying to do and see everything. Having two full days at the locations would give us more time to explore or do a day-trip but it would mean staying longer, or dropping destinations..

A link to some of our Flickr pictures:

I second the ring if kerry tour, aran islands, guinness and jameson factories. The town of killarney is awesome as well

The Guinness and Jameson tours were actually better then I thought they'd be. It was a great way to spend what ended up being a rainy afternoon. While I can now tolerate Jameson, I'm still more of a Bowmore fan. The Aran islands were on our list but didn't make the final cut unfortunately.. Dingle and Clifton were probably two of my favorite places.

Galway is a pretty happening town and where you can take the ferry to the Aran Islands. I'd plan on spending some time checking out the town, catching some live music if possible.

Mizen Head is a really nice drive and pretty sweet place, especially on a windy day!

Blarney Castle, the Cork Gaol are also interesting historical spots.

All of the above are great suggestions, plus Galway is a pretty cool town. Additionally, people say you really haven't had a Guinness until you've had it in Ireland. Be sure to enjoy it at basement temperature as the locals do, not from that tap that's extra cold for Americans.

You have all great suggestions here. If you like to hike don't miss Croagh Patrick . It is a serious day long hike with beautiful views. You will need a pack full of snacks and water . But the view is beautiful . Plus if you're a Catholic you get a plenary indulgence . Winning!! lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croagh_Patrick

On that list ( and my husband will bash me for this ) Dublin is the only place you'll get a "normal to us "steak. So eat up while you're there . Once you head West everything will be boiled , or cooked to the consistency of the sole of you workboot. Stick with the fish and chips once you're out of Dublin lol

Have you driven on the left side system before? The thing I found the hardest was operating the stick shift system with my left hand .

We made sure to get an automatic while we were there for just this reason. I didn't mind learning to drive on the left, and navigate Irish roads but didn't want the added headache of a stick. After about a day driving on the left wasn't too bad. We also brought a GPS with international maps which was a HUGE help since the roads were extremely tight and not well marked.

When i was in Killarney i found an awesome italian restaurant. Owners were from Italy. Ate there three times. Go figure

Owners were from Italy. Key part of that sentence. In my husband's home village there was this little Chinese place..owned by a Chinese family. As good as you can get in NYC. They had these prawn chips that were out of this world.

Guinness tastes so much better there!

This is and isn't a myth. The Guinness that they serve in Ireland, the UK and Europe is the same Guinness that we serve here.

The part that isn't the myth is the fact that it tastes better there. The reason is volume. American beers are ultra pasteurized. Essentially, they force carbonate our pilsner type beer and reintroduce alcohol to the "brew"

Draught Guinness IS pasteurized. However, when an establishment doesn't sell a lot and keep it flowing through the lines, it produces off flavors and diminished head quality. In Ireland, Guinness is the national beverage next to tea. EVERYONE drinks it. They flog enormous amounts of it per capita in Ireland. Whereas, in the US, we consume a lot...we don't consume as much per capita. The beer sits in the lines, sours the system and sours your pint.

Find an American bar that pushes as much Guinness as your average Dublin pub, and you'll find a fine pint indeed.

Then again, maybe a part of what makes it taste better over there...is the fact you're drinking it over there. :-)

^ what he said. Some very busy Irish Pubs in major city might draw a decent pint..but it does taste better over there no matter what.

Conversely , do not order a glass of red wine in a pub in Ireland. Just save yourself the euros and drink right from the vinegar bottle on the bar.

If you like hard cider, you're in luck. Hard cider is very popular in Ireland. Bulmer's. It's the same thing as Magner's.

We hoteled in Dublin and took a train down to Cork to kiss the Blarney Stone. The walk around the castle was pretty cool. Neither my wife nor I care about history and architecture or cliffs so none of the usual tourist stuff was for us. I much enjoyed discussing politics with the locals.

This is and isn't a myth. The Guinness that they serve in Ireland, the UK and Europe is the same Guinness that we serve here.

The part that isn't the myth is the fact that it tastes better there. The reason is volume. American beers are ultra pasteurized. Essentially, they force carbonate our pilsner type beer and reintroduce alcohol to the "brew"

Draught Guinness IS pasteurized. However, when an establishment doesn't sell a lot and keep it flowing through the lines, it produces off flavors and diminished head quality. In Ireland, Guinness is the national beverage next to tea. EVERYONE drinks it. They flog enormous amounts of it per capita in Ireland. Whereas, in the US, we consume a lot...we don't consume as much per capita. The beer sits in the lines, sours the system and sours your pint.

Find an American bar that pushes as much Guinness as your average Dublin pub, and you'll find a fine pint indeed.

Then again, maybe a part of what makes it taste better over there...is the fact you're drinking it over there. :-)

And the fact that beer doesn't travel well. The same can be said for German beers, they all taste better close to the source.

Guinness in Ireland is really smooth, with no aftertaste - you'll be drinking it constantly.

I haven't ever done the left side driving, we upgraded to the standard size car but not automatic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

When I went Ireland, that was the first exposure I had to left hand driving, I was only a passenger in some relatives vehicles. I found it confusing when you're out in the countryside and you get to a stop sign or "roundabout" as to where you should end up after you make a turn or which way to go around a circle (which are everywhere).

Keep a few other things in mind: particularly in the countryside, many roads have no names or numbers, many houses have no numbers, many of the back roads are narrow with 15 foot high hedgerows on either side growing right up to the edge of the pavement and have 60 MPH speed limits! - and yes, the locals drive that fast on them, despite the cows and sheep in the road frequently. If you ask someone for directions, you'll likely get an answer like "go down to the fork and bear left til you see the O'malley farm then make a right, follow that until you come to the big oak tree then make a left, etc......". I was there before GPS became popular, if the rental company offers you one, you may want to take it.

All that being said I had a great time there and highly recommend going. The people could not be more hospitable.

What Woodentoe said. There are Bill Clinton posters up everywhere right along side the Hunger Strikers from the 80s . He and Hillary are National heros there. I also had one guy out of nowhere ask me why Americans were so gun crazy. Good f'in thing we were otherwise the IRA would have been chucking stones at the English and there would not have been anything for Clinton to fix in the first place.They are also huge PLO supporters , based soley on the fact that when the IRA disbanded , the USA stopped helping the splinter groups get weapons so they turned to the Palestinians.

Again , I can't stress how sound Woodentoe's advice was lol Just.Don't.Get.Into.It. ESPECIALLY if alcohol is involved. I also had another otherwise very nice guy out of nowhere , based on the fact that I was American , ask me in a confrontational way why the USA thought we should keep Iran from having Nukes when the USA is the only country that has used them. My response was pretty much " hey man , I don't know , but I do know that if they lob one at Israel just because , it will be most felt on your side of the pond here so you'll be the one watching your eyebrows fall out into the bathroom sink pal. "

Another guy tried to engage with me at a pub out of nowhere..again , just because I was American. So I gave him a nickel and made up a story about the picture on the back of it just to change the subject.

At no point did I start any of these conversations...all I did was sound like I was from NY lol So just change the subject and enjoy your vacay if it happens to you too lol

What Woodentoe said. There are Bill Clinton posters up everywhere right along side the Hunger Strikers from the 80s . He and Hillary are National heros there. I also had one guy out of nowhere ask me why Americans were so gun crazy. Good f'in thing we were otherwise the IRA would have been chucking stones at the English and there would not have been anything for Clinton to fix in the first place.They are also huge PLO supporters , based soley on the fact that when the IRA disbanded , the USA stopped helping the splinter groups get weapons so they turned to the Palestinians.

Again , I can't stress how sound Woodentoe's advice was lol Just.Don't.Get.Into.It. ESPECIALLY if alcohol is involved. I also had another otherwise very nice guy out of nowhere , based on the fact that I was American , ask me in a confrontational way why the USA thought we should keep Iran from having Nukes when the USA is the only country that has used them. My response was pretty much " hey man , I don't know , but I do know that if they lob one at Israel just because , it will be most felt on your side of the pond here so you'll be the one watching your eyebrows fall out into the bathroom sink pal. "

Another guy tried to engage with me at a pub out of nowhere..again , just because I was American. So I gave him a nickel and made up a story about the picture on the back of it just to change the subject.

At no point did I start any of these conversations...all I did was sound like I was from NY lol So just change the subject and enjoy your vacay if it happens to you too lol

See the grand memories you have of these political discussions? Fun times, indeed.