Duppie

S&W L frame wood grips.

It is going to be awhile between P2P's and sourcing the firearm but I intend to own a S&W 686 and as is the case I like to do my shopping before hand.

I love wood grips on my guns and have scoured the internet to find the appropriate furniture for the 686 but as yet not sold on any. Yes.. I do realize that it will affect not only the comfort but usability of the gun but it is not the criteria at this time.

Please show me your grips and steer me in the right direction.....

My 686 has the rubber grips that came with the revolver and the 586 I have has the original S&W wood grips on it. I can still use speed-loaders effectively on the 586, so I never switched em' out. I use the 686 for PPC and the 586 for USPSA & IDPA.

Good luck with the permit--you're investing in a great gun you'll have the rest of your life!

Thank you Gentlemen.

I have narrowed my choices down to the Ahrends tactical with finger grooves or Hogue tactical if I get the 686 with a 4 inch barrel.

Or the Altamont boot grip in super walnut or Hogue boot in rosewood if I'm lucky enough to find it with a 3 inch barrel.

Mr Bob, I saw a post by you on another forum about the Hogue 2'nds auction site and browsed around but it appears that the offerings all seem to be of a lighter wood, Is that so?

I took a chance and ordered a set of burl grips off of EBAY from an outfit in Thailand and was pleasantly surprised at not only the fit and finish but the quality of the burl,they now reside on the Taurus 605 and I am quite happy with the purchase.

Mr Bob, I saw a post by you on another forum about the Hogue 2'nds auction site and browsed around but it appears that the offerings all seem to be of a lighter wood, Is that so?

It all depends on what they are running. If they are making a production run of Goncalo Alves, then there will be a preponderence of Goncalo Alves seconds, and so on. What I have never seen on that site are the grips with a contrasting cap and spacer. I assume that all Hogues start life as "one wood" grips. If they are found to be imperfect, thay are put on the auction site. If perfect, the cap and spacer can then be added.

While I have no personal experience with the Ahrends grips, my buddy - who is a much bigger S&W fanatic than I - hates them. Also, while I really like the way the Altamont grips (in the picture I posted) look, they really aren't the greatest feeling grips for shooting - I think of those as my BBQ grips and they are currently off the gun in favor of some rubber Hogue's, as I was using it in IDPA.

Grips are very subjective, both in how they look and how they feel. Also depends on if you are a form follows function, or vice versa, kind of guy. Whatever you decide on, just as we recommend for the gun itself, try to find some and actually try them first.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

j09z10.jpg

Thanks again PB.

I fully intend to have a set of Hogue rubber grips for any significant range time or travel as I do have some experience with Hogues and find them very comfortable. I have also fired a model 19 with Ahrends and while not practical for a long session at the range ,found them to be good for my grip.

It all depends on what they are running. If they are making a production run of Goncalo Alves, then there will be a preponderence of Goncalo Alves seconds, and so on. What I have never seen on that site are the grips with a contrasting cap and spacer. I assume that all Hogues start life as "one wood" grips. If they are found to be imperfect, thay are put on the auction site. If perfect, the cap and spacer can then be added.

While I have no personal experience with the Ahrends grips, my buddy - who is a much bigger S&W fanatic than I - hates them. Also, while I really like the way the Altamont grips (in the picture I posted) look, they really aren't the greatest feeling grips for shooting - I think of those as my BBQ grips and they are currently off the gun in favor of some rubber Hogue's, as I was using it in IDPA.

Grips are very subjective, both in how they look and how they feel. Also depends on if you are a form follows function, or vice versa, kind of guy. Whatever you decide on, just as we recommend for the gun itself, try to find some and actually try them first.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

j09z10.jpg

I quite like the grips on models 34 and 624.

I'm sure Micarta grips are coming out soon for the 686. Just wait.

Thanks but I prefer the warmth and look of a natural wood product.

I'm sure Micarta grips are coming out soon for the 686. Just wait.

The grips shown in the center of the big array (the Model 28) are Micarta or some type of phenolic resin impregnated material. May be the only pair of Hogue monogrips ever produced like it. Checked with a source at Hogue and the original customer sent in his own material. I picked them up on ebay.

Adios,

Pizza Bob