Sign in to follow this  
siderman

Why don't they make this revolver?

In my search for a .22 wheely with the features I want I've noticed that a particular set of common features on one gun isnt to be had. They are basic- 4'' brl, DA/SA and lr/magnum capable. Taurus comes close with the 992 but its 6", Rugers are all SA and I believe some of the very budget minded manufacturers may make some cowboy types but why not the big names like S&W, Ruger, Taurus? I would think with those 3 attributes the gun would be a home run or did I just not look hard enough.

ETA: actually just saw a new model Taurus -992B4 that is a 4" with the cylinder swap. A lower pawl is held in by what looks like a tiny screw? As noted looks like a potential fail pnt but am going to look into it. But why does it have to be a Taurus :(

Not a screw! simple button- nice. I think this gun is too new its not for sale anywhere. Dont think I'll see one on this permit.

In my search for a .22 wheely with the features I want I've noticed that a particular set of common features on one gun isnt to be had. They are basic- 4'' brl, DA/SA and lr/magnum capable. Taurus comes close with the 992 but its 6", Rugers are all SA and I believe some of the very budget minded manufacturers may make some cowboy types but why not the big names like S&W, Ruger, Taurus? I would think with those 3 attributes the gun would be a home run or did I just not look hard enough.

Swapping out Cylinders in Single-Action revolvers is simple, Double-action revolvers not so much, and requires tools. To make it tool-less would also make a failure point, and increase the cost factor.

Try to find one of these in your firearm search travels. S&W used to do this on a custom/request basis. I don't know if they do anymore. (Swapping cylinders is easy, simply a matter of removing the forward on the sideplate screw which releases the yoke assembly. )

SW651.jpg

Try to find one of these in your firearm search travels. S&W used to do this on a custom/request basis. I don't know if they do anymore. (Swapping cylinders is easy, simply a matter of removing the forward on the sideplate screw which releases the yoke assembly. )

SW651.jpg

Looks like a museum piece! or is that yours?!!!

No, just a pic from the S&W Forums. (You'll find more info on this conversion piece there.) My uncle has a S&W Kit Gun that he had S&W make an extra cylinder for him many years ago. It's not that much of an oddity.

Ruger's SA convertible is a handy tool, and has been around a long time.